Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

ASDA £2.93 webcam

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just because you read it on the internet doesn't make it true :)

It may be possible to get it to work on Win7, if someone suitably knowledgeable wants to try. Won't be me though. I kno nuffink about Windows.

James

Just because you read it on the internet doesn't make it true :)

It may be possible to get it to work on Win7, if someone suitably knowledgeable wants to try. Won't be me though. I kno nuffink about Windows.

James

lol I know that! It was a review left by someone, it obvioulsy didnt work for them.

here we go

im stupid lol i forgot the most obvious place in the world

USB 2.0 Camera:

Product ID: 0x62f0

Vendor ID: 0x0c45 (Sonix Technology Co., Ltd.)

Version: 1.00

Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec

Manufacturer: Sonix Technology Co., Ltd.

Location ID: 0x4b110000

Current Available (mA): 500

Current Required (mA): 500

Just got mine working,importing with Sharpcap,and using Registax 6

never used it before to any real level,only captured 100 frames of a poster on the wall,but the stacked result was a lot cleaner looking,

not too bad quality,

I'm hoping for a bit of clear sky tonight :)

JJ..

Looks like it's nothing to do with the Logitech cameras then. I'd guess it's a Sonix SN9C201, which they appear to have discontinued. Perhaps they sold all their remaining stock to ASDA :) Looks like it may have been rebadged as a Chicony, amongst other things.

James

Enlarged hole in cam casing for excellent compression fit to my 1-1/4" - C adapter - but its nosepiece too long as it hits sensor sub C threaded sleeve - back to drawingboard :)

Pics below for complete dissection of Asda cam - top half wholly unnecessary as releasing nut to cam [top centre] removes stand/clamp:D

post-33671-133877765718_thumb.jpg

post-33671-133877765723_thumb.jpg

ok, i'm going shopping later at ASDA...the question is, are these cams really as good as they're beginning to get billed and thus warrant me getting one. Has anyone managed some proper planetary use (besides the Venus & Mars posted earlier) or even attempted DSOs with them?

I mean, do we have any concrete use from those experimenting with the xbox and MS Cinema web cameras??

I wouldn't say that they're being billed as "good". Merely that they are relatively easy to mod and that it's possible to get an image on the sensor.

If you already have something that works well as a planetary imaging camera and you're not into just hacking one up for fun, then I'd probably not bother.

James

I managed to get two of the £1.76 cams and I also picked up one of the £7.95 cams today. Had a quick play with them whilst on my lunch break and with hindsight, I did bring my SPC900 adapter in with me. The lens thread on the cameras are too small for the adapter, also widening the hole to butt the adapter up to was no good, as Nytecam has mentioned above. So I will glue an eyepiece on, as Jordan has done. I did manage to kill the LED and noticed on Sharpcap there's an even longer list of settings to fiddle with - even more than the Xbox cam.

Is this the one? ASDA HPC201B ASDA Webcam | Webcams | ASDA direct

I'm going to try and use my old playstation 2 eye toy camera if that'll work :)

ps2 cams not too bad they have exposure settings and very sesistive to light if u remove the ir filter .

think the silver ps2 cams are ccd sensors or could be black ones not sure also ps3 cams are pretty awesome cams.

same goes with xbox cam that lot of us talking about with astro imaging.

they also wii cams that not too bad either.

ok, i'm going shopping later at ASDA...the question is, are these cams really as good as they're beginning to get billed and thus warrant me getting one. Has anyone managed some proper planetary use (besides the Venus & Mars posted earlier) or even attempted DSOs with them?

I mean, do we have any concrete use from those experimenting with the xbox and MS Cinema web cameras??

I'm not expecting them to be much good to be honest. I want to convert one to a polarscope cam if at all possible. If I can see the polarscope reticle and Polaris on the screen, then I'll be happy. If not, then it's not a lot of money wasted.

Archived