Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

ASDA £2.93 webcam

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My Windows avi video clips from last night of Mars and Saturn via the Adsacam captured in Amcap don't have a file extension and whilst they play in Window Media Player they are 'invisible' in Registax/ Window MovieMaker etc - any tips?:D

I tried both of the ASDA's in Ipswich and I can't find any of the 2.93 ones so got one of the 1300k ones for 7.45, hopefully I can use it for basic planetary imaging and as a makeshift guidescope cam:)

I've already got a 'Toucam' equivalent (deffo philips, but not sure what pedigree) from Sherwoods, and a 1004X(A) boardcam, so I won't bother. last time I bought a 'cheapo' webcam, it was a Logitech E1000, and it was truly pants - M10 thread, tiddly little CMOS, and it would only generate JPG frames - barely adequate for mugshots.

when my infrastructure allows, I use the 1004X for low light, and I find the gain control of the Philips good enough for saturn and jupiter - though I've not taken any frames using either for about a year... (the 1004X is good enough to show some faint nebulosity in M42/3 even at a 50Hz refresh/max exposure with a 4.5" newt - sorry, no processed piccys yet !)

I'll definitely be picking one of these up tomorrow - hopefully they've got some left at my local ASDA!

I've never tried imaging before, although it was always an intention, so this might be a good and inexpensive way to have a practice!

One question, though...(and to me it sounds like a daft one)...do you have to take your laptop out with you? And doesn't it wreck the light?

Sorry!

Yes, you need to have some sort of computer nearby, unless you have very long leads.

And yes, it messes up your night vision. Some applications have a "night vision" mode that's supposed to help, but I've never found anything that works well enough so instead I use a red filter in front of the screen. Even that causes problems when you're trying to check focus and so on however, so often you just have to live with the fact that your night vision will be shot when you're imaging.

James

I modded my 1300k Asda webcam and attached a nose piece and now I can't get it to work with XP? it says the drivers are installed and to click on my computer then click on USB webcam, but theres no USB webcam icon?? :D I'm a bit gutted as I spent ages making a good qaulity nosepiece.

That's not bad at all, I reckon. Focus looks very good. Personally I'd back off the wavelets a bit, but that's because my preference is for a slightly "softer" look at this sort of scale. There does seem to be a pink tinge to the image, or is that just my eyes? Do you think that's down to the camera firmware messing about with the image?

James

That's not bad at all, I reckon. Focus looks very good. Personally I'd back off the wavelets a bit, but that's because my preference is for a slightly "softer" look at this sort of scale. There does seem to be a pink tinge to the image, or is that just my eyes? Do you think that's down to the camera firmware messing about with the image? James
The 'pink' appeared via Registax not the original but what do I know after one try:rolleyes:

I'm still impressed for expenditure of £1.46 !

Oh, I agree, it's impressive for such a cheap camera. You can't even buy a book of stamps for that these days. I wonder if the pink might be down to stray IR that only really became noticeable after processing. Were you using the camera with a filter?

James

I think you'd need someone to compare the two cameras side-by-side and then processing using exactly the same settings to get an idea of that. If you could find out what sensor is used on the ASDA camera then you might also be able to make a judgement. The real benefit of the SPC900 is the quality of the sensor.

I suspect it won't be as good, but that doesn't mean you can't get acceptable images out of it.

James

Mars is starting to become a more difficult target than it was a couple of months ago. The reduced area that we can see in sunlight is definitely diminishing its brightness. However, since Gareth asked about the comparison between the two cameras here's my image of Mars taken with the SPC900 and my 127 Mak over the weekend. Looks like the polar cap is already starting to enlarge compared with the images I took a month ago.

mars-2012-04-21-1.png

James

im not allowed to utter the word A**A any more, had a meeting yday bascally warning us if we do and its at all "bad" then we lose our jobs :'( but hopefully these A**A cams can be the new phillips, because the quailty of the saturn pics above are amazing :D for a smart price camera i would say it rivles the better webcams for being so simple as theres no "software middle man" like alot of new ones have

Picked up the last two at my (not so) local ASDA today, will set to work modding the first one later.... hoping for some nicer weather to use it in would be a good idea too.

I'm far from convinced that nytecam is doing himself justice with that Mars, to be honest. I'd not be at all surprised if he's along later with something better. James
Give us a break James - it's my first ever Mars image in initial test - I'm happy to show initial rubbish and perfection may take awhile longer :D

Actually it's a special treat for the Asda webcam to displace my Lodestar from deep DSOs :)

My clip at Cheap Asda webcam for astro imaging - YouTube with Jordan credit

I'm far from convinced that nytecam is doing himself justice with that Mars, to be honest. I'd not be at all surprised if he's along later with something better. James
Give us a break James - it's my first ever Mars image in initial test - I'm happy to show initial rubbish and perfection may take awhile longer :D

Actually it's a special treat for the Asda webcam to displace my Lodestar from deep DSOs :)

My Youtube clip at Cheap Asda webcam for astro imaging - YouTube with Jordan credit

Archived