hello

frankcoffi

:hello2:Hi all,just a note to say hello really.Have thought about buying a telescope for a while and have finally purchased a Meade ETX 80,the reason for this is I know next to nothing about astronomy and thought this was the way to start,(GoTo etc) ??

I Live in Andover in Hampshire and being in an age group (67),basically all I want to do is look at where I'm likely to be going in the near future,( UP ) hopefully.(Joking :-).

As I have a motorhome I can stop over anywhere that the sky is dark away from light pollution,when on holiday. I'll hopefully learn some things from joining and get to stay up late :) .Next move is to join a local astronomy club,regards Frank.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HI Frank and welcome to the forum. Well I hope your journey upwards won't be for some time yet, which will give you plenty of time to get started in astronomy. To help you create some ideas of what to look at, your might want to consider downloading this free piece of planetarium software called 'Stellarium'. Easy to use with lots of great features including an advance date/time facility that will help you see when objects are coming up. You can configure it from any observation location (motorhome friendly!:)) and their are other 'toys' that can play with should the clouds come in. Hope that helps.

Clear skies for now,

James

Hi Frank, welcome to SGL!

Good to see you've already got a telescope, you got one quicker than me :) (still comparing telescopes and deciding which one to get).

EDIT: I second the Stellarium recommendation, it has to be one of the most useful pieces of software for anyone at SGL to own, and it's free.

Hi all,you lot nearly made me have a heart attack,when I saw how many of you had welcomed me to the forum.It's nice to see so many people who take the time to insure that people are made welcome,it shows what a nice bunch you all are. Thanks for the link James,that was going to be one of my my first questions,what free software there is about that is of any use.So far have had my scope for two weeks and have so far not had a clear night,oh well still time.Oh and Dobby,thanks for your suggestion.Take care all and thanks again for the welcome.Regards Frank.

Archived