Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

It's that time again! - Observatory Build afoot

Whistlebare

Well I’ve spent the last week or so looking at the various DIY Builds on here and I must say I am very impressed with them. Like others have commented, my favourites are Malcolm's (Malc-c) and Wayne's (Pritc). I shall hopefully be throwing my hat into the DIY Observatory build ring too...Although I have not even taken delivery of my SkyWatcher 200P / HEQ5 PRO yet .

I live in Scotland in a rural area and have two neighbours (30 meters away to the south) and no street lights so therefore very little light pollution, also I'm lucky to have unobstructed views (apart from a tree or two, which will receive a haircut after my build is complete!!).

I am a complete novice to astronomy, but I know from reading this forum that if you really want to get serious about astronomy, you need to have a designated area for you scope (and a pier). So that's what I’m going to do, I just need to decide on a suitable structure such as Penthouse style or traditional pitched roof. Whichever style I choose it has to be wind proof as we do get some strong winds up here and I'd hate to wake up to find my observatory a few fields away from where it should be (like the kids trampoline did a few years ago ).

Anyway I'll be looking to you guys to keep me straight, so when I start posting pics and questions feel free to tell me if you think that I may be doing something wrong.

The design i'm looking at is along the lines of Malcolm's or Wayne's build, with a warm room (like I mentioned I live in Scotland and it was -18 last year!!). I'm not restricted on the size (except by funds) but I'm looking at 12 x 8 or 12 x 10. I pegged it out on the lawn with some string and got inside it to get a feel of the layout and put a chair in the warm room part to see if a 4ft width x 8 ft would be ok to within using a computer and kettle etc....seemed like I had enough room to get out of the chair and pop into the 8 x 8 observatory section without any bother.

I’ve attached a few pics of the views I have, so I suppose the first question would be which direction should my build face? South right? Or will it not matter because my views are pretty much un-obscured?

Look forward to your comments.

Regards

Craig

post-35216-133877763343_thumb.jpg

post-35216-13387776335_thumb.jpg

post-35216-133877763354_thumb.jpg

post-35216-133877763358_thumb.jpg

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Craig, I'm pleased that my build has inspired you to join the club :)

You have some lovely views and should get some spectacular viewing in that dark site. Most of the "activity" will be from East to West, so I would suggest you position the observatory so that you have clear views to horizon between East through South and to the West if possible. My views are quite restrictive, hence the drop down wall section so I could get the best possible elevation to the South-East / South.

I assume you are going to do self build if you are basing your observatory on the two build threads mentioned ? If so then given your location I would use 50mm styrene in the floor, walls and roof sections of the warm room. It's also worth noting that "warm" room is mis-leading. It's typically just a few degrees different between it and the scope room, unless you heat it. But it does provide a space out of the wind and cold if you go down the imaging road.

Looking forward to seeing how your project develops and feel free to ask questions if something on our builds is not clear.

Hi. As a Newbi here I dont know if preveiling weather directions will have any bearing on which way to face it. Bearing in mind you will want to keep your equipment dry and safe. E.G. entry door down wind so the wind and rain will not be battering it in bad weather conditions. :)

Thanks Malcolm, a south facing observatory it is then. It will fit nicely in the corner and will get some shelter from the dry stone wall which runs around the garden.

Regarding the build I have to options available to me:

1) build from scratch

2) combine two sheds I have already, an 8 x 8 pitched shed and a 6 x 4 penthouse style shed.

I would prefer to build from scratch so I don't have to mess about with modifying two sheds, apart from having to re-home 5 hens I do not want to have to dismantle the sheds and the have the trouble of trying to bolt two sheds together and make them water tight....I think I've just answered my own question!

Jeremy, regarding the weather conditions etc, I just want to make sure that the shed will not move in the wind and want to make sure it is secured to the ground in some way. I thought about attaching a frame to one side to anchor it to the ground, sort of like another roof support for a rolling roof...I may be over thinking the issue with wind but I'd hate to lose my shiny new equipment!

Craig,

Have a read of Chris's build, currently in discussion. My thoughts on the converting sheds vs scratchbuilt studwork is well documented in that thread. Other than the fact I used a suspended floor and Wayne made a base to support his floor direct, the builds have a lot in common. The use the same studwork (from wickes) and opted for traditional cladding is shiplap. To give you a comparason, I had a quote from a local shed company for a workshop of the same dimentions (4.8m x 2.4m) with timbers at the same pitch etc.... it was three times the cost of the materials I used for the custom build, but was on par with a similar desing from Alexanders Observatories. Scratch building has its advantages :)

Hi Craig,

A nice projekt you have there, hope your work turns out Ok..

I, am green with envy, wish I had the ground & space...

My Balcon with view only West,

North. South. east.... Well see for yourself..:):hello2:

Cu John

Btw I also come from Scotland....

I guess you will be putting in a concrete base? Is so you can rawlbolt the shed/s direct into that.

I'm probably going to build a one course 9 inch breeze block base and lay a 4x2 base on that, so yes I guess the rawlbolt option will work for me.

thanks

Craig

Hi Craig,

A nice projekt you have there, hope your work turns out Ok..

I, am green with envy, wish I had the ground & space...

My Balcon with view only West,

North. South. east.... Well see for yourself..:):hello2:

Cu John

Btw I also come from Scotland....

Well the Westerly view looks nice at least :confused: I'm originally from Luton, the light pollution was terrible there.....Glad I made the move!!

Craig,

Have a read of Chris's build, currently in discussion. My thoughts on the converting sheds vs scratchbuilt studwork is well documented in that thread. Other than the fact I used a suspended floor and Wayne made a base to support his floor direct, the builds have a lot in common. The use the same studwork (from wickes) and opted for traditional cladding is shiplap. To give you a comparason, I had a quote from a local shed company for a workshop of the same dimentions (4.8m x 2.4m) with timbers at the same pitch etc.... it was three times the cost of the materials I used for the custom build, but was on par with a similar desing from Alexanders Observatories. Scratch building has its advantages :)

Going with the self build option I think, that way I can build it to suit me rather than fudging it with old sheds.

Whilst reading these threads and seeing pics of other builds I have come to the conclusion that if you have the space and funds to do so then bigger is better when constructing an obsy. With this in mind I have changed my mind from a 4x8 warm room to a 6x8, this way I can stretch out a little more.

As for Wickes, i'm staying well clear of there as the last time I bought timber from there it was warped and over priced. Lucky for me we have a local timber yard that sells 3x2 c16 CLS for 90p a meter and T&G for 70p a meter....Need to get a price for the joists still.

Before I start this build I have a few other jobs I need to finish off:

1) finish the last 8 meters of dry stane dyke around the property

2) Sandtex the walls of my garage and house

Inbetween these jobs I will start to source the materials so I can hit the ground running!!

Thanks for your help Malcolm

regards

Craig

Hi

TBH. A scratch build can always be superior as you have control over material quality. As long as you stay well away from DIY stores you won't go far wrong.

Never scrimp on products like boarding and timber treatment and your build should last a lifetime.

Remember no one can see how long it took, only the end product, so take your time, and get it right.

Oh and plan, plan, then plan again. It's dead cheap to rip up paper, altering your build half way through ain't as cheap.

Good luck with your build.

Regards Steve

I would agree with the above mentioned posters - if you want a robust construction then the only possibility is a scratch build with proper materials.

My observatory is built to weather the storms, being about 1500 feet up in the mountains of Mid Wales. The walls are built from sheet steel profiles on a 4"x4" timber frame, the frame is secured to concrete foundations that go down to the bed rock (not that far down just here!). The sliding roof has to be secured down with steel cables to prevent it moving in gales.

You might want to check out the Cambriam Mountains observatory gallery link in my signature for ideas. Dscf2057.jpg

Craig, If you can go bigger then it makes sence to do so. That's also a good price for timber. I have to agree on the timber from DIY stores. Wayne hand picked his studding from Wickes, I relied on them, and to be fair there were only a few lengthst that I took back to the store for replacement, and around 10% in total were not ideal. For me local timber merchants were comparable on price, but no doubt would of given me better quality materials.

A 6 x 8 warm room will be ideal, with plenty of storage space.

Depending on how remote you are the DIY stores might charge a delivery premium. My local builders merchant only charged £5 for a 25 mile round trip. Just make sure you get all bags of ballast, cement, bricks, timber, wall/roof panels in one order!

I think that was about the price I paid for timber. Delivery was free if you bought over £300 worth. I had 2 deliveries of just over that. Later we went ourselves with the pickup and picked up <grin> 10 sheets of 6mm plywood for the ROR and warm room lining, which I had decided on after the second delivery.

I'm quite lucky with the amount of timber and builder yards (and the odd stone and sand quary) we have in a 15mile radius and with access to a trailer I can get materials a fair bit cheaper.

I'm a bit up and down at the minute, I've been asked to provide 2 weeks cover in our New York office which will put my plans back a bit. On the up side I will make some good overtime whilst there which will pay for my build and even some goodies from a huge astronomy shop which I visited last year when I did a 2 month cover stint.

I'll be asking advice on what to get for my 200P heq5.

• 4 months later...

Hi everyone, well it's been 4 long months getting all my other jobs done around the house and garden completed (the weather has not helped any) so I can finally make a start on my observatory !!

I've marked out my plot and dug the foundations and the materials arrive on Thursday. I'm laying concrete foundations with 2 courses of blocks in order to get the observatory on a solid and level base.

The design of the build is a 14 x 8 Pent style construction with a sliding roof, an internal partition inside separating a 8 x 8 room for the scope and a 6 x 8 warm (i hope) computer room. The roof will slide approx. 7 feet over the computer room and on to load baring supports.

I've attached a few pics of the site and will endeavour to keep posting more as I go.

My next job is to position the location of the pier and dig that out, i've got a 200mm pipe to mount it on.

Bye for now....

post-22546-0-23859700-1346617211_thumb.j

post-22546-0-73064400-1346617225_thumb.j

post-22546-0-33119500-1346617243_thumb.j

Just looking at these pics my only worry is making sure your footings won't suffer from frost heave. Digging below the frost line will prevent that even if it's only at the corners Then tie the shallow foundations in with rebar.

Best of luck with the build.

Just looking at these pics my only worry is making sure your footings won't suffer from frost heave. Digging below the frost line will prevent that even if it's only at the corners Then tie the shallow foundations in with rebar.

Best of luck with the build.

Thanks...yeap rebar is in place.

Archived