Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

It's that time again! - Observatory Build afoot

Whistlebare

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A selection of pics showing the 3mm ribbed rubber strips that keep the roof section water tight ( I also had enough to do around the base of the shed too, so I won't be getting any creatures making homes under the shed!)

I've still to paint inside to make it look less 'wooden', the warm room is nice a snug (W6 x D4 x H5.9...it was 6ft high but after insulating the floor and then putting down rubber gym flooring it reduced the height a little....Good job I'm only a wee 5ft 7in fella :grin: )

Jobs left to do:

Painting

Fit internal door

installing workbench area

Guttering

Pulley system

Landscaping (gravel and paving)

Make a permanent step

Installing and setting up the scope....

I've got a week at work then I have a week off so I'm aiming to get it all done by then...

post-22546-0-41893200-1349953528_thumb.j

post-22546-0-12615900-1349953560_thumb.j

post-22546-0-19893400-1349953585_thumb.j

post-22546-0-57550100-1349953604_thumb.j

post-22546-0-69047900-1349953629_thumb.j

Well done.... it's coming along nicely. Once it's decorated, work surface or desk installed etc it will less "shed" and more "observatory" (at least from the inside) as you say. From the outside it looks like a purpose built shed, with no hint of what's inside, which is what you want IMO.

Looking forward to the fitting out of the warm room - this for me was one of the best bits of the project :)

Ha, yes it did go up rather quick :grin: Yes, the shed was built beforehand and then all I had to do was carry the sections up to the base and fix it together.

Ah, that explains it! Really impressed with your build so far. I'm getting a bit closer to being able to start my build and will definitely be pinching a few tips from yours!

Watch this space everyone, yet another obs build thread'll be coming to a forum near you soon (at long last!!!)......

Ah, that explains it! Really impressed with your build so far. I'm getting a bit closer to being able to start my build and will definitely be pinching a few tips from yours!

Watch this space everyone, yet another obs build thread'll be coming to a forum near you soon (at long last!!!)......

Thanks for the positive feedback...When it comes to building your obsey don't forget to post if you need advice, this site is invaluable and there's always an answer out there somewhere. If you run in to any problems you'll probably find that a member somewhere would have had the same issue at some point.

Good luck!

Well done.... it's coming along nicely. Once it's decorated, work surface or desk installed etc it will less "shed" and more "observatory" (at least from the inside) as you say. From the outside it looks like a purpose built shed, with no hint of what's inside, which is what you want IMO.

Looking forward to the fitting out of the warm room - this for me was one of the best bits of the project :)

I agree, there an old saying 'What the eye don't see, the heart doesn't grieve over'...Now if only I can decide on a colour!!

Looks great, and certainly a quick built. I'm looking at the pics on my phone and other than gravity is there anything keeping the roof from lifting off? If you suffer from strong winds you will definitely need to ensure a negative pressure doesn't suck the roof off its track.

Looks great, and certainly a quick built. I'm looking at the pics on my phone and other than gravity is there anything keeping the roof from lifting off? If you suffer from strong winds you will definitely need to ensure a negative pressure doesn't suck the roof off its track.

I'm using 4 turnbuckles (one in each corner)...

Simple garage door geared motor to either drive a pulley with steel cables fixed to your roof so as it pulls the roof open cable is reeled onto a pulley while the retreating side the pulley plays cable out. Reverse the motor to close...

Or drive one of your support wheels.

Was thinking along the lines of a garage door motor ( i have one installed on the garage door ), the thing is I'd need to have it on the outside on the frame which the roof rolls on to. Id also need to make the motor water proof.

• 2 weeks later...

Well it's been a busy week or so, got lots done...The observatory is pretty much finished, however I need to revisit the rolling roof as it is still pretty hard to move the roof on my own (even with a pulley system). It looks like the bolts on the wheels are binding on the angle runners, I'm waiting for a delivery of 5mm flat steel which will be fitted on top of the existing runner. This will (i hope) raise the height of the wheels and thus allowing the bolts to clear the runners and no longer bind.

Need to setup the scope and fit all the attachments etc too.

Here's a few more pics...

post-22546-0-39422900-1351415079_thumb.j

post-22546-0-50227600-1351415097_thumb.j

post-22546-0-74537000-1351415107_thumb.j

post-22546-0-10074500-1351415119_thumb.j

post-22546-0-45451300-1351415130_thumb.j

post-22546-0-79054100-1351415140_thumb.j

post-22546-0-61080000-1351415154_thumb.j

post-22546-0-65335900-1351415172_thumb.j

Archived