Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Solar Filter Ideas

Hightower

Hi all,

Last week I received my Baader film. I cut a couple of holes out of some thick cardboard and made the front bit of the filter. However, now I need to come up with a way to make the round bit that slots over the end of the scope and need a bit inspiration.

One idea is to wrap a thin bit of card around the circumfrance of the scope several times, gluing all the way so it becomes a nice thick fitted sleeve. However, we don't have any materials lying around to do this (no thin card, and definitely not enough to do that).

So, needing some inspiration of how to make the sleeve, and with what materials. At a recent event I saw someone used a little plant pot for a refractor, but the scope is a 130mm reflector.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I used packaging from all the equipment I've bought :) Yes I wrapped cardboard round the dew shield and glued it to form a removable tube - makes a nice, close fitting attachment.

Here's a filter cell I made from 1/32" ply (from a hobby shop) for a Skymax 150. I wrapped and glued a number of layers around the end of an appropriately sized paint tin to form the basic filter body and then cut several rings out of the same thin ply, laminated them together and that glued them inside the body. Then made another ring to fasten the filter material to and bolted that in place. Bit more time consuming but when painted it looks the part and is very strong and durable.

John

post-14522-133877759302_thumb.jpg

Well done :) Amazing what you can do with household rubbish :)

I knew there'd be something common to most households that I'd be able to use, I just couldn't work out what! As soon as I read cereal boxes it was like a kerching moment. Just wish the sun would show it's face to try it.

Also, how do people try their solar filters for the first time. If something is wrong with it you might only get one chance, so what do people do to try and make sure it should be safe?

Next time you are in B&Q or similar, have a walkabout with a tape measure and measure up plastic plant pots, painters pots etc. You usually find something very close and then size to fit. Insulation tape works well to build up rings to snug fit.

Cheers

Ian

To be safe, hold it up to sky, but just away from the sun.

Have a look for any pinholes.

If none, then hold it up to the sun and look again. Move it about so you can see the sun over the whole surface of the filter. Still no holes or gaps? You are good to go.

But get into the habit of doing this every time, without fail.

Cheers

Ian

Usually only available from an astro dealer, although the occasional photography shop that also sells scopes may be able to order it in.

BTW one way to check a solar filter indoors is to look directly at a spotllamp through the filter and you'll be able to see the lamps filament through the filter and any holes will show up clearly.

John

Usually only available from an astro dealer, although the occasional photography shop that also sells scopes may be able to order it in.

BTW one way to check a solar filter indoors is to look directly at a spotllamp through the filter and you'll be able to see the lamps filament through the filter and any holes will show up clearly.

John

Will have to ask couple photo shops when next go past some.

Mite try that with spot lamp when making any solar filters

• 2 weeks later...

i used artists canvas card ( painters stuff) is slightly thicker than the cornflakes box i tried.

not having a dew shield i used the endcap of my scopes. at 114mm i stuck with a full aperture.

i cut 2 inch thick strips of card, taped these into a long strip and wond the strip around the tubes cap. i cut four baffle rings. 3 rings fit inside the cardboard tube with one of them sporting the astro film. the fourth ring was used to cap of the front of the card tube and help hold filter in the tube tight.

the baffle rings i made from the stiff envelope that Flo sent my astrofilm packed in.

filter slips over the front of my scope and down to the focuser body. the hardest part was laying the solar film up to the baffle rings . i now find the film rattles and shakes under light winds and spoils my views when solar gazing

• 3 weeks later...

So is this stuff safe for my Mark One Eyeball, or is it only for cameras?

Oh, and I have a 12", so an A4 sheet would give me a max diameter of approx 8" with the rest of my aperture blanked off. Will this work or should I get the much larger (and a lot more expensive) sheet?

So is this stuff safe for my Mark One Eyeball, or is it only for cameras?

Baader does two different solar films so you just have to use the appropriate one.

Baader AstroSolar Safety Film ND 5.0 for visual use

Baader AstroSolar Safety Film ND 3.8 for photo use only

John

The only stuff that's safe is proper solar film such as the Baader. For goodness sake don't try anything else - it might look dark but it's not only visible light that is damaging. Near infra red will burn your eyes - permanently!

EDIT... Cross posted with John - take his advice too.

I was definitely only looking at the ND 5.0 - but the page on the baader link only seems to talk about photography.

I'd try it on my camera FIRST anyway. I'd much rather ruin my camera than my eye!

OK... so an A4 page giving me ~8" aperture (with the rest blanked off) will work, I see. Telescope House have it for £19 - which looks like a good deal.

Archived