Hi Guy's n Girl's

shiny

Hi There,

Just a quickie to let you know a bit about me.

Im a bird watcher but found myself pointing my spotter up to the moon on clear nights and now want to look a bit closer and see what else is out there.

Ive recently bought a cellestron 102 SLT and an 130 astromaster reflector with Venus and Jupiter being so prominent i had to have a look.

Any help advice or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Currently only have standard E/pieces that came with scopes, would love to know how to view these lovely nebular gas/star field pic's i keep seeing posted, they would make my day ,as well a a good veiw of Saturn and it's bands.

These would make my day or should i say night....:icon_salut:

Im located in the medway towns in Kent and its currently very cloudy :D

Cheers in advance,

Sam.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hi

download a program called STELLARIUM- its a free software that when you put your place of viewing in, it allows you to see the night sky and whats were, in real time, and you can fast forwards or rewind to plan, and reflect upon

rich

Welcome aboard!

You won't see the color you do in the images. the color is added via filters and processing but... point your scope towards Orion and the Trapizium is a wonder to behold.

Hi Sam and welcome to the forum. The eyepieces you have got will be good enough for now and are certainly a big improvement on what you used to get with a scope years ago, then it was more like staring through the bottom of milk bottles - for younger members, this was when milk was 'delivered' in glass and not sold in plastic!:icon_salut::D There are some good performing eyepieces out there that aren't too expensive but I am not going to make a suggestion without knowing a budget. Suffice to say that you can pay a lot more money for a wider field of view or for special coated glass to improve contrast or a design that attempts to reduce optical aberrations that might distort the view.

Your ability to view and object is linked to the size of the scope's aperture be it in the form of an objective lens in a refractor or a mirror in a reflector. Aperture = resolution, the ability to see structure and detail. Deep sky objects (DSO's) such as galaxies and nebula are best viewed using a reflector because they can provide the necessary aperture at a reasonable cost. Nebulae in particular are best viewed using special filters such as OIII which can be used to view diffuse and planetary nebula, though they work best for scopes with apertures in excess of 8" whilst a UHC filter is better for smaller apertures owing to its greater light transmission and perform well on extended nebula. I would add that the view of that these objects present at the eyepiece will only be in black and white as colour can only be captured through imaging sensors that are far more sensitive than the human eye. In fact the only colours that you are likely to see at the eyepiece are those which are generated by planets. Hope that helps.

Clear skies for now,

James

Archived