Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First go at a comet C/2009 P1 Garradd

Here is my first attempt at imaging a comet. It's 3.5 hr in 3 min subs (probably a bit long given how fast this comet moves). In DSS I stacked on the stars, then stacked on the comet saved as two images and layered them together in Photoshop. Not sure I got it quite right.

Any tips on how I can improve this (or future pics) would be gratefully received.

rikmcrae-albums-solar-system-picture16627-c2009-p1-garrad-20120328-mcrae.jpg

Love those colours Rik! ;)

Here it was on March 27th ( Click on the "View in World Wide Telescope" under the 'astrometry.net' link below ):-

Comet Garradd | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

7035595461_e69951043b_b_d.jpg

This video shows how much it moved in just 10 minutes! Click on boxes as they appear for more info:-

I wonder what that little moving dot was in the bottom right of the video?

Very nice image Rik :) By chance I checked comet's coords via HeavensAbove but amazed when I slewed scope to find it stopped at the zenith after dusk tonight:eek: and time for a few quick pics:cool:

Haven't looked for Garradd since last autumn when 'lost' in trees to NW :) but since done a 'spin' around northern horizon and up into UMa.

Archived