Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

22 Galaxies & A supernova!

Damo636

This is my first ever observing report guys so bear with me while I try to make heads or tails from last nights notes at the scope!

I have to confess that since getting into this wonderful hobby 12-18 months ago I have never actually planned an observing session. When I started out I bought Sky & Telescopes Pocket Atlas, the Illustrated Guide to Astronomical Wonders and recently the latest version of Turn Left At Orion. Last night was the first time I have even opened any of them :o Last night I decided that the S&T Pocket Atlas was to be my eyes on the sky for the first time.

Last night was in many ways a proper first light for my 12" scope as I have really only been panning around aimlessly for the last couple of months hitting on the usual suspects and slowly but surely becoming frustrated by my lack of knowledge of the night sky. I knew the scope was capable of so much more & I had been waiting for a night such as last night for what seems like an eternity! My plan was to start in the Ursa Major and slowly make my way west as the night wore on, taking in a few of the major constellations with the hope of increasing my galaxy count to double figures!

So, armed with my little atlas I started in Ursa Major. First up was M101 and although this is a very large target I find its surface brightness fairly low. In the 26mm Nagler it was easily enough found though and although not the most rewarding to look at I was off and running! Next up was M51 and its companion. Both were easily visible with M51 showing lovely spiral structure in the 13 Ethos. This is one of my favourite galaxies to observe. Moving on in the same direction I tracked down M63, M94, NGC 4618 and finally NGC's 4485 & 4490 in the same fov which was particularly nice. I then moved up to Merak and with the 26mm Nagler made the short jump to M108. What I like most about this target is the ability to have it and the Owl Nebula in the fov at the same time. I bumped up the mag with the 13mm Ethos for a closer look at the Owl Nebula and it popped nicely even without the Olll in place. I then moved upwards to M81 & M82. These two bright galaxies never disappoint. I have only ever viewed this pair with the 8" dob but I have to say the increase in brightness with the 12" is fantastic. This was my first genuine "Wow" moment of the night. The two galaxies literally jumped out at me, almost 3d like! With these two beauties in the bag I decided to leave Ursa Major and move on to Leo.

The most dominant Target in Leo at the minute is of course Mars so I thought I'd have a quick look. For a change the red planet was giving up some nice detail. At 230x with the 13mm Ethos/Powermate combo I could see the ice cap along with some nice dark shading on the surface. The next target had to be M95 and the Supernova. I had been waiting all week for a clear night to view this spectacular event. With the 26mm Nagler back in play I made the short jump from Mars and centered M95 in the fov. I switched to the 13mm Ethos and incredibly there it was :blob10: I had looked at a sketch of it on the forum and memorised it to make sure I was looking at the right target and it is pretty much unmissable. To say I was overjoyed at seeing my first SN would be the understatement of the century! Its incredible to think that this event happened approx 38,000,000 years ago! Truly staggering! Eventually I moved on and took in all the galaxies listed in this patch of sky, M96, M105 with NGC 3384 in the same fov which was lovely, NGC's 3412, 3377,3367 & 3338. I then moved back east and took in the

triplet of M65, M66 & NGC 3628. These three in the same fov with the 26mm Nagler were truly stunning, my 2nd "Wow" moment of the night! I then moved further west and hopped from Alterf down to NGC 2903. This was to be my last galaxy of the night and a nice bright one to end with.

I moved further west again and stopped at M44, the Beehive. I love this cluster, very pretty in the 26mm Nagler. I had one other target that I wanted to see before calling it a night, The Eskimo Nebula. I had never observed this target before but with the help of the excellent pocket atlas found it easily enough. A short jump from Wasat and sure enough there it was. I found this target was best viewed with slightly averted vision. Looking directly at it revealed the central star easily enough but the surrounding nebulosity sort of disappears.

And that was that, 1.30am, shattered but feeling very pleased with myself I called it a night. Overall I am very very impressed with the light gathering power of the 12" scope and equally so with the excellent Sky & Telescope Pocket Atlas.

What a fantastic night!

"I have only ever viewed this pair with the 8" dob but I have to say the increase in brightness with the 12" is fantastic" Oh no please don't say it - I just can't afford the upgrade :0(

Brilliant report Damo - really enjoyed it sounds like you've had a great night and shows why planning ahead reaps such rewards.

was out myself for a few hours last night but only saw a small percentage of what you've achieved - was a beautiful night though none the less- congratulations.

Steve

Great report! Sounds very like my night recently where I did pretty much the same thing. A couple of other things to check out with the bigger scope - M13 is stunning the more aperture you apply and comet Garradd is well placed currently. Details of my session and a Garradd map here http://stargazerslounge.com/observing-deep-sky/182215-impromptu-observing-session-25-3-2012-a.html

Thanks guys. It really was a fantastic night but I'll say this, it was no joke dragging myself out of bed this morning for work!

Thanks for the link Shane, I'll have a go at that tonight if the weather holds up. I have just read your excellent report and we did indeed thread a similar path. If that's an impromptu session I would love to see what you would get through on a planned one! I never thought of M13 or even Saturn for that matter

:blob10:

Next stop for me will be Virgo but it'll have to wait till the weekend as I cannot afford to fall asleep at work two days running :o

Wow, an 8" and 12" scope and never previously a plan or guide! We'll I'd say you're eyes have been opened to more faint fuzzies and other DSOs - the books/charts help enormously. Enjoy...as you move into Virgo you'll get truly lost in her cluster...but it's worth it!

Happy hunting.

Nice one Damo :blob10:

Sounded like a fantastic nights viewing.

The nights have truly been beautiful lately.

The triangle of Venus Jupiter and the new moon was amazing!

You must have had a truly dark sky to see all these?

Thanks guys. The past few nights have been stunning here and the new moon with Venus and Jupiter particularly lovely to look at in the early evening sky. I am indeed very lucky in that I live in countryside and light pollution is never an issue so I think that's half the battle won!

Here is a rather dodgy mobile phone pic from yesterday evening. The view is much the same through 360 degrees.

Cheers guys.

Great report Damo!!

So you think your 12" was a worth while jump from the 8" then? Very tempted in doing the same.

The extra light gathered by the 12" is really noticeable Mike, everything is just so much brighter. I would say the jump is definately worthwhile if hunting dso's is your thing.

Oh, and now I want a 12" dob too :(

A 16" has crossed my mind once or twice lately :(, I daren't speak it out loud though, divorce would be a definate possibility :)

great report damo. ive been planning a saving plan for a 8" dob, but now....??

funny i have the same books. turn left, astronomical wonders and s+t pocket atlas, apart from the atlas , the others get read in bed more than outside ! good books though.

Archived