New guy in NYC

uyotg

Hi all,

My name's Gary. Glad to join. I look forward to many answers and meeting many people here.

I'll confess right now that I posted before I even read the rules :):) I will also confess that I jumped into a telescope purchase after mere hours of research and not even being able to identify stars with my naked eye :):) not even trying for more than a few minutes with binoculars :):) so as you can see I am on my way to something here :)

My first telescope is arriving next Thursday. It's an Orion 130EQ, reflector telescope with a 130mm aperture on an equatorial mount. It's coming with a Barlow lens and a moon filter, but I already wish I'd gotten a filter for the sun and for Jupiter. I cannot wait for them to arrive. But in the mean time, I'll be combing through these forums seeing what I can learn.

Thanks for what I expect will be a warm welcome, and I hope to learn a ton of stuff; and I hope you will bear with me and be patient as I ask questions that have been asked a hundred times before; and I hope you will help me out in case I am ever impatient, as, since I've gotten older, lost a bit of my curious, do-it-myself exploratory tendencies and now tend to just want the answer right away (who has time to do stuff anymore, amirite? :)), but I certainly hope stargazing will humble me and send me back to that time when I was a little more slow, a little more thorough, and, as a result, a lot more proud of my discoveries.

Well, with a few hours of night everyday and some things only visible a certain times a year, I guess I'll have no choice but to be humbled and slow down.

:)

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome, Gary!

I did exactly the same thing! And, after accepting my actions (pained smile), I knuckled down and learned a LOT! Just remember to keep asking questions, keep reading, and visit your local astronomy group as well, if you can. Most of all, enjoy the new 'scope!

Welcome to the SGL, Gary. My question also - where are you going to observe from? The light pollution must be terrible in the city. That aparture size is a good one that will give you many years of success in observing faint deep sky objects ("DSOs") if you can get to a dark sky site.

Hi Gary and welcome to SGL, appreciate your enthusiasm and limited knowledge and wanting to jump right in. But whatever you do, be very careful when it comes to looking at the Sun with a telescope, all necessary precautions should be taken, you could loose your eyesight if you don`t. Enjoy your Astronomy :)

John.

Welcome, Gary!

I did exactly the same thing! And, after accepting my actions (pained smile), I knuckled down and learned a LOT! Just remember to keep asking questions, keep reading, and visit your local astronomy group as well, if you can. Most of all, enjoy the new 'scope!

I'll see what I can do :) I haven't even looked up any locals who enjoy astronomy. Perhaps I'll find some on meetup.com or maybe even here.

Welcome aboard man, hows the light pollution out there in your neck of the woods?
Welcome to the SGL, Gary. My question also - where are you going to observe from? The light pollution must be terrible in the city. That aparture size is a good one that will give you many years of success in observing faint deep sky objects ("DSOs") if you can get to a dark sky site.
Hi Gary & welcome.

Can't imagine what the light pollution (LP) is like from NYC but planets like Jupiter are still stunning with LP

I'm actually in Queens, technically still NYC and just a borough of it, but actually very suburban by comparison to the "real city," Manhattan. I moved here about a year ago from elsewhere in NYC, and it's the reason I got into astronomy. Every night I bring my dog out for a walk, I'm amazed at how much I can see just by looking up. Truth be told I don't have much to compare it to, so I don't know what it's like to be somewhere without light pollution at all, but I'm pretty stunned by what's visible compared to where I used to be.

Hi Gary and welcome to SGL, appreciate your enthusiasm and limited knowledge and wanting to jump right in. But whatever you do, be very careful when it comes to looking at the Sun with a telescope, all necessary precautions should be taken, you could loose your eyesight if you don`t. Enjoy your Astronomy :)

John.

Thanks, John! I'll look into a solar filter eventually. They are pretty expensive so I figure I'll take my time with night sky viewing first before jumping into that. What I imagine the experts on these boards do are mix and match and modify and hack their very own masterpiece telescope conglomerations, whereas I kind of just bought ready-made parts recommended by the manufacturer to be pieced together. So I'm not that hardcore yet, and I don't know if I can afford (time- and moneywise) to ever be, but only time will tell.

Welcome to SGL, Gary!

Dana

Yankees or Mets?

When I was younger, I liked the Yankees because they impressed me with how many World Series wins they had. Now I know better and understand why everyone else hates them :) but it doesn't matter since I stopped following pro sports teams, and now I just do my own thing!

Archived