Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mars March 14th

Space Cowboy

Cheers fellas! Looks like this was the best being only 2nd avi of the night before dew hit the secondary and conditions became more murky.

The are indeed clouds Brum, came out quite well on this shot.

Thanks Karlo it looks like I burn with a blue flame lol I'm not sure whether the blue tint is natural for Mars or not though I do remember Darryl saying this was a real feature of Mars.

colour balance looks balanced to me, there is a lot of blue in Mars, though many tend to reduce it i think, basically not prefering the balance. My recent example where i showed a blue reduced and balanced shot is a example. I like your processing. you ere on the side of smooth, but i guess its better than snow flakes. The art is getting both at the same time. thats harder

Good shot under difficult conditions

Thanks again for your comments guys!

I did wonder about the focus Peter but it looks better on this re-pro using castrator before stacking in as!2 with 1.5 drizzle.

space-cowboy-albums-mars-picture16257-march-14th-21-48-drizzle.png

Focusing was solid as a rock Rob but Peter has worried me lol I think it was the conditions as all the images look the same and if focusing was hit and miss there should be a distinct difference.

cant be sure but the edge looks quite tight to me, which often looks mushy with poor focus. collimation and optics are two other things that can cause soft images, not trying to freak you out.

Its one thing i dont trust, is optics, good sets and average sets can both come from the same company. I know this to be true. Most people belive there all consistent, in my experiance they are not. Its interesting that Rob using dob tracking suffers soft images too. But once in a while they get more distinct, like hes recent saturn and Mars shot. Big optics are often soft under anything but good seeing. But at 10 " its not so much of a problem. the levels of detail i get at less than perfect nights show this. is your tracking smooth Stuart, thats another killer of fine detail. All said and done it might be seeing. But it was jittery here too last night. and the images dont look soft. So im not sure. Just trying to help you think about the possbillities. As you put a lot of work into what your doing. one last thing how dewed up were the mirrors when this was taken, another possible cause Btw that repro does look better. Another possible thing processing being too laid back having said that it looks nice and natural

Cheers Bish!

Neil conditions were extremely heavy and the scope was wet before I started imaging so I was not expecting pin sharp images. Collimation could be an issue as my laser is giving different readings each time I turn it in the self centering holder. Its been fine until now so i don't know whether I've over tightened the holder and squashed the laser tube which after all is plastic or even distorted the holder. I did have this issue with a previous laser after purchasing a self centerer that showed a consistent reading when used with a thumb screw holder and sent the self centering one back.

The live view on screen last night was never sharp so i don't think the new auto focusser is to blame...well...not until i've tried it under clearer conditions!

Again another fabulous image Stuart,

I've only just started up myself only had a scope since December so all this is new to me. I have 2 Skywatcher 2X Barlows that I stack together, another 2X Barlow which looks questionable quality although it seems to work quite well & it was free so can't complain. I have a Astro revalation 5X Barlow but the images I have tried to capture with that have been pretty dire to say the least. Although when I've used it just for observing it's not to bad. I think I'll need to save up my pennies to get better lenses & eyepieces but funds have been tight recently. I've also brought some various Plossl lenses & a zoom lens for when I go out for a night's observing.

Archived