Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Orion and Running Man

MoT Man

Hi everyone

This is my first pic posted on this forum. I have posted this one on a couple of other forums so some of you may have allready seen this. Image is made up of 60x10sec, 40x30sec, 40x60sec, 25x120sec and 40x240sec @iso800 plus flats, no darks as i used dithering. Processed and layer masked in PS Elements 10.

Thanks for looking

Scott

post-34623-133877746784_thumb.jpg

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the comments guys.

@laser_jock99: I'm pretty fortunate to live in an area with low light pollution, not dark sky site status by any means but good enough.

@steppenwolf: Thanks Steve, not quite the norm this image. I found when i was processing this one that it had an almost painting type look to it. Bit odd but i like the outcome:)

Cheers

Scott

Very nice image! Mind if I ask what your equipment was on this shot?

Sure.....

Canon 1100D (T3) Modded

Meade 5000 80mm Apo Moonlite Focuser upgrade

QHY5/9x50 Cam/Guidescope

CGEM Hypertuned

Captured with BYEOS, stacked in DSS, processed PS Elements 10

Thanks to everyone for the comments

Scott

I'm going to be the party pooper - but seems overly processed - sometimes less is more - but I am clearly in a minority.

not a party pooper at all, i have done pretty much the same area its difficult to know just what color is correct.less is maybe more,but without actually being certain you just have to go with what you find pleasing to the individual.

but all that aside its certainly a stunning image, well done

P.S sorry for rambling a bit :)

Sorry, but I have to concur regarding the processing. It certainly has the data but the contrast is too high and it is over-sharpened. The again, an image doesn't really have to correctly describe reality, and if we turn to narrow-band, then the "reality" isn't really there at all, especially with palettes like Hubble.

So, if you like it like that yourself, then I will not hold that against you :)

All the best,

Per

I think the capture is obviously fine, but I would agree that the image has been pushed way too far in an attempt to capture all the faint dust, and the use of noise reduction is very obvious.

It's important to know when you've got the best from your data, and this image would be fine if not pushed so far.

If the processing becomes obvious, then that line has been passed.

Once noise becomes a factor, then that's as far as you're going to get....if you then want to go deeper, there is only one way, and that's more data. :)

Rob

I think it is a great capture, but agree, to my eyes, it is over processed, a little bit harsh.

We all have our own ideas & if you are pleased then that is ok, cant make everyone happy, on the other hand, if you fancy reprocessing and pulling back a bit, to see how it comes out, that will be a good project for a cloudy night.

Fay

Errrrr i dont think anyones pooping the party. I have'nt been doing astrophotography all that long so this is all good information for me. Comments and critique are always welcome;)

Thanks everyone:D

I like it but it is over processed I feel and I have been guilty of that one myself but at the end of the day its up to the owner to do as they wish and if you like it like that then thats fine. I try not to go ott on the processing unless need to bring out detail that is sparse but you have lots of lovely detail in this one so why not do two versions that would be fun to do.

Mot Man, you have a good attitude :)

Everyone, no matter how experienced, has been been guilty of pushing data too far.....it's how you learn and you should always push the boundaries.

Give it another process and, as Fay says, be more gentle with it....it's good data and you've done very well already....go on, you know you want to :)

Cheers

Rob

Archived