Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The refractors have been breeding again !

The refractors have been breeding again !

With the latest addition of the little Ikharos 80ED I couldn't help setting up all three refractors on my modded Skytee2 mount to see what it would look like. With all three scopes on board it still balanced nicely and with all the clutches released it could all be positioned wherever I wanted it with just a fingertip. Just what are the limits of this mount? :)

Normally of course it would be just one of the long focal length refractors along with the ED80 for widefield as they would compliment each other very well. The 80ED would also make a rather nice finder scope or guidescope. :)

• Ikharos 80ED f/7
  • Lyra Optics 102mm f/11
  • Carton 100mm f/13

John

post-14522-13387774225_thumb.jpg

post-14522-133877742256_thumb.jpg

post-14522-133877742261_thumb.jpg

post-14522-133877742265_thumb.jpg

post-14522-133877742275_thumb.jpg

Thats the best looking Skytee II setup I've seen to date John :)

How does the Lyra 102mm F/11 compare to the Carton 100 F/13 ?

There should be a difference in CA according to the text books but I'd be interested to know if that is borne out in the real world.

The Lyra is an excellent scope with very little CA. Optically a bit better than a TAL 100 and with a bit less CA. Build quality and fit and finish however are WO like. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend one. Great value for money.

However the Carton is just in a different class altogether. CA is virtually non-existent. It's also sharper with better contrast and detail than an FLT98 or an Equinox 120 for lunar/planetary visual observing. You should read the comments in the Cartonclub Yahoo group.

Skylight Telescopes sells a Carton 100mm f/13 very similar to mine, but prices start at £1,295.00 plus options. :)

John

Where do you get the carrying handles from that attach to the top of your rings?

They're from Telescope Service. Rather pricey, but solid aluminium and simply bolt onto the top of any CNC rings. I like them as they're low profile and have a nice thick handle to grip. I can't find any other dealer in Europe that stocks them.

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/de/info/p4319_.html

John

Archived