Another newbie! Skywatcher Explorer/Mount query

BrownEyes

Hi everyone!

I've been interested in astronomy for years but now taking the plunge to buy a telescope! I've done the (hours of!) research, and also got some good advice from this forum! Think I'm going to opt for a Skywatcher Explorer 150PL.

I've found a site where I can buy one (without mount) for about £160. My question is am I better off doing this and buying a separate mount, or get one where the mount is included and pay another £100?

Looking forward to your advice! :)

Thanks in advance

BrownEyes

Hi, welcome to SGL :)

I would say that your best bet is to buy one with a mount, as a package, because the mount and scope, as seperate items, will be more expensive than buying together, unless you are thinking of 2nd hand stuff.

Hi Brown Eyes and welcome to the forum. Buying the scope and mount together will typically yield the best deal and agree with all the above.

However, I want to check something out with you if I may. For the same price as your intended scope, you could also buy a Skywatcher 200P dobsonian, which to date is the most popular scope to own. This can be easily evidenced by the numbers of members on this forum who own one as well. I know you have spent a long time researching scopes and I certainly do not want to dampen your enthusiasm but I wanted to make sure that you had explored all the options because I would like you to get the most out of astronomy. More aperture means a greater ability to resolve details and this can only be achieved by gathering more light. The scope you have gone for has a longer focal length (tube) compared with the straight 'P' version, which makes that scope especially good for planets, as their intrinsic reflected brightness facilitates greater magnification. Remembering that magnification works by stretching the available light captured by the aperture of the scope, so more magnification results in a gradual darkening view. For planets and the moon that's not an issue, but for deep sky objects (DSO's) such as galaxies and nebula, their light is faint and this is where aperture makes the difference when attempting to resolve detail or structure. This means that more objects can be observed and so helps explain why this aperture is so popular. Some argue that the alt-azimuth mount is more intuitive to use and that being supported from its base near the ground, avoids the often difficult observing positions you can find yourself in when observing using an equatorial mount.

I don't wish to frustrate your need to own a scope - I know how it feels!:) Have you participated in a public observing event yet? Have you had a look through different scopes to get an idea of what all these 'specifications' actually mean? Portability (to a dark site) set up time etc, all have an impact on your final viewing experience. Numbers on their own don't really mean much and the secret is to develop some experience from which to hang these figures from to be able to judge what matters. The saying, "There's no rush, the stars aren't going anywhere" holds very true, and it is important that the desire to own a scope doesn't overtake the needs to choose wisely in order to secure best value for money. No one scope does it all though some come closer than others. Hope you don't mind me sticking my oar in here, especially as I can feel the fluttering of your wallet - just want you to make sure you have covered all the options and can therefore make an informed choice!:):D

Clear skies

James

Archived