most successful night of stargazing to date

tomlines

I didnt take my dob as i was unsure what the weather was doin, was looking very cloudy

me and my brother agreed we would have a walk around a new dark site we had come across and stuck the 130 go to in the car just incase

we browsed about for half an hour and found an ideal spot for a clear night and agreed we would come back some time soon

by the time we got back to the car we were so happy to see the skies were clearing

within 10 mins i was in the darkest site id ever used and the skies were perfectly clear, seeing was great! shame the moon was so bright though

by the end of the night we had seen in full glory the infamoud meteor for a good 10-15 seconds. that was worth every second of the travelling alone! i nearly cried

but we had also managed to tick a few off our messier list aswell

the M3 cluster, m82 and m83 which id never seen before aswell as getting some images of the orion nebula, the beehive cluster and also the pleiades. Considering i was on such a downer when the cloud rolled in early on it turned out to be my most successful night of observing to date!

very happy with tonight and vannot wait to try our new site without moonlight some time soon

just thought i woudl share my happiness this evening

night all

:-)

(my imaging is far from great but thought i would share them)

im only using a point and shoot camera so was not expecting miracles

post-27799-133877741323_thumb.jpg

post-27799-133877741329_thumb.jpg

post-27799-133877741334_thumb.jpg

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like you have struck gold Tom. Our AS recently held a star event in a public open space in the City, compared to a reasonably dark, site there was only one way to describe it " shocking " but the public were quite impressed all the same, the Moon was, as ever, spectacular. Perhaps your little report may have been better off in one of the observing sections, as you have posted this in the welcome column :)

John.

Nice one Tom, great to actually find a good dark site (me still seaching) AND to get a go straight away. I bet yoy can't wait for a cloudless, moonless night. Bring the coffee and do an all-nighter. Fantastic!

Bart

scarlet - we went to coombe abbey, without the moon out that could be a very very dark site, slightly distracted by a couple sneeking in to the woods though ;-)

en51nm- it was completely by accident, it wasnt even threw the scope. we were looking at a chart when a raging fire ball flew across the sky! naked eye and i reckon it was as big as the moon! it was the most amazing thing i have ever seen!

scarlet - we went to coombe abbey, without the moon out that could be a very very dark site, slightly distracted by a couple sneeking in to the woods though ;-)

Didn't see the Coombe ghost then ?!?!

Bet thats not a bad place at all ....... May have to try that ....

Congratulations Tom on your expedition, looks like you had a great time and bagged a meteor as well! You'll have to have a good lie down now!

Bet you can't wait for a darker sky to enable you to search for more targets, including the moon when the terminator (the interface between sunlight and shadow) will reveal some interesting surface details.

Keep up the good work!

James

I use a Panasonic Lumix and under the scene settings there's one called starry night that can give you either 15, 30 or 60 second exposures

I also use the badaar click stop digital camera adapter. This is so helpful as you have no chance if holding the cam still for 15 seconds

I got it for £25 when I bought my scope.

I've not used it with my big dob yet so looking forward to that :-)

I'm sure for the Orion nebula it would show up in a normal single frame pic tho

Tom

That's awesome, thanks. Which Lumix is it? I've got a FZ38 so it's good to know one of the default settings is useful. I'm waiting to get an EQ5 and then tracking for it. When the day comes, thi'll be super useful info. CHeers.

im pretty sure its the lumix dmc fz10

if you go to mode, scene, and if theres a starry night setting thats what i use

15 seconds with plain tracking is fine

for anything more you would need an eq mount

its great just for taking wide angle constellation pics aswell

from the front garden on a tripod picked up every star in orion and ursa major

looks really nice too, different colours etc

Archived