NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Sssshhh dont tell the missus

boabsta

I have just ordered a tal 2x barlow, a new red dot finder and new star diagonal as the old 1 was left uncovered for too long and tarnished. Now I have to think of how to tell my better half of the purchases and to think of an amount to tell her it cost without her doing her nut.

That got me thinking, does anybody else have to be a tad creative when telling their other halfs? Or even worse, just hide the purchases. Think I might do that in the future lol

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I try to get to the post first,if I don't I tell her that I got it cheap off fleabay,one of these days she's going to open the parcel and see the invoice,then it's BIG trouble:eek:

My father used to rebuild classic motorbikes, starting usually from a box of bits. Every time a new one used to take recognisable shape my mother would complain about him buying a new bike to which his response was almost always "Nah, I've just put together some bits I've had lying around the garage for ages"

*if* you can get the bits into the house without being noticed I suggest a similar approach.

"These bits, I've had them since X. They came with Y (free), only just decided to try them out."

Keep a messy area of bits from which new toys can always be plucked.

My wife does a similar thing with clothes and the wardrobe.

LOL Ive just had this with my Mrs, but what i didnt know was as i was ordering from FLO she was watching over my shoulder....

"How much was that then?"

"£25"

"It was £61.25 i just saw you do it!"

How do i get out that then? And now, im in the dog house for a bit LOL oops.

I can't see the point of not being open either. My wife is perfectly capable of reading whats written on the side of a piece of equipment and using Google so there is no point in covering anything up.

My stuff is funded by selling other hobby stuff anyway so I'm not drawing on the housekeeping budget or anything like that.

Sorry sweetheart, but I need this bit, so I can do that better - or, it wont work properly without this. She's normally ok with the bits, its the extra scopes, that she raises her eyebrows at.

Bless her though, shes chipped in, so I can get a SkyTee-2, did say it would enable me to take better photo's, will introduce the idea slowly, of another scope to dual mount, some time after purchase lol

I suffer from guilty face syndrome. 1 look and she knows I'm hiding something lol. I don't think she objects to the scopes but the little things that seem to Costa plenty. She is buying me a new ep for my birthday and does support me with my latest fad but there are limits to her patience. Thankfully she has absolutely no interest in my scopes or even to google any of my gear. I do however think in the interest and well being of our relationship its best not to divulge the real amount spent. After all I shudder to think what she spends on all those clothes that stay in the wrapping and never get worn. Sometimes its best not to know.

I had this with my wife one of my last hobbies RC cars well the vintage ones she bought some for me for xmas and birthday and then i bought one from a forum and told a fib to her so it ended up the cars or the marrage so it was sod the cars i want my marrage so i sold the lot.

My new Barlow and eyepiece came yesterday so I quickly put them on the computer desk which is enclosed , she went on the computer and quizzed me about the 2 jiffy bags , I just passed them off as bits for the scope . Had there been further questioning I was ready with a fib about the price . Less earache the better I say

We're only here once, so indulge.

But include the other half in it, they don't like being left out !!

Sharing is a wonderful experience. :)

Nicley put.

Although shes waiting for warmer nights lol

But she was impressed at being able to see Jupiter -- Just wait untill she sees Saturn!

I think (:)) my wife would be pretty forgiving of additional expenditure if I could get her better views of Saturn... . Oh, and maybe better warm clothing so she could spend longer at the eyepiece :).

lol I just say 'Im going to buy such n such' And I get an 'ok'.

I dont see why you lot have to fib or make stuff up!

You clearly have no idea Sandra...my missus would go bezerk if she found out Howe much my stuff cost....I agree with others tho, usually I say I got them cheap or as part of a kit

Heh, I can't be dishonest so I simply don't say anything. Then if I get asked or she gets the post, I tell her exactly what it is with lots of enthusiasm, at length, explaining what its for and why I got it. This way she pretty much doesn't ask any more and when she does she wishes she didn't!

The fall back plan is to simply get my stuff just after a handbag/shoe purchase. Simples.

just bought a dual core laptop off fleabay,I reckon if I say it was 70 pounds I'll get away with it,If on the other hand I tell her the real price,then I'm afraid I'll be in the spare room for a week or two,it's not worth the aggro,so i'll risk her not finding out:D

I have to say my wife puts up with a lot on the astronomy front...after all, I did get away with plonking a damn great observatory in the back garden....which even I have to admit is a bit of an eye-sore....

Generally we have a bit of a laugh when a package is delivered from one of the astro suppliers... Its usually a "what have you been buying this time"... and I try and make out that it's just a teeny weeny thing that didn't really cost that much..

She knows that its almost guranteed there's a new pair of shoes on offer at the weekend!

Archived