NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Sssshhh dont tell the missus

boabsta

Yeah, I'm of the 'don't say anything and it will go unnoticed' school of thought... I just commited to buying a second hand FLT110 which was actually at a great price, albeit one with four figures in it that the mrs would freak out at :-)

My theory is simple... the money is there, I'm buying it second hand and will take good care of it, if the money is needed for something else in a few months, I can sell it on and won't have lost much on it at all, and will have got a few months of enjoyment from it.

To be fair she has a few hobbies and I think she does the same with me :-)

I'm lucky in that all my astro gear is at work, not at home, so equipment can come and go without anyone noticing... that'll change next month when we move house and I start doing everything from home... will have to re-think it then :-)

Ben

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You clearly have no idea Sandra...my missus would go bezerk if she found out Howe much my stuff cost....I agree with others tho, usually I say I got them cheap or as part of a kit

Well you lot must have bonkers women then!! And also, you are a right bunch of blumming girls!

My old man likes his classic cars and his fancy camera gear, and other fancy music stuff and sometimes my stomach churns when he's spent £180 on a stylus or something but at least he tells me what he's planning to get. But I do know he makes sure the household stuff is taken care of first so I'm not too bothered what he buys, we don't go without just so he can have some fancy rubbish to make one of the cars a bit shiny...

My stupid son just brought home a letter from school - I have to pay £275 tomorrow for his German trip. Apparently it was owed back in Jan, the idiot only brought the letter home today :) And I have to pay £645 nursery fees toomorrow, and £116 for my biology subs. Thats my GOTO well and trully up the ******* now :)

Sanmatt

We have a simple rule, if either one or the other has a few pennies, then if needed, or wanted its given, for whatever reason, no questions.

As for expences, try paying care home fees for your mother-in-law for 3 years at £870pcm

It may seem cruel, but she passed away just befor xmas, and for both of us, it was a blessing, we can now relax and enjoy ourselfs, and indulge ourself a little, for a bit anyway, daughter needs a deposit for a house, so back to counting the pennies again soon.

Moral: Money is designed for spending, so make the most of it when you have it, and enjoy it, theres no currency in the after life.

I find spending a struggle. I have set up an account for my expenses now with a fixed budget. It's such a relief to be free from negotiating my honestly very small expenses. The new challenge is to increase that budget! :-(

Whoe's fibbing, I say what I want or need, simple

I do cringe a little when shes says the word "SHOES" though lol

Far more expensive that the bits I get from fleabay

I didnt mean youre fibbing, I mean in general - ie the theme of this thread

I just emailed the ole man and told him I have bought a Bahtinov mask and a moon filter. All I got back was 'is that the slitty thing?'. Didnt even ask how much I'd spent either (wasnt much btw, about £25 in total).

no moaning, no fibbing, easy peasy. :D

It'd be nice if life were that simple :-)

I think if we're talking about trust here... I don't think it's fair to start questioning people's relationships just because they hide (or at least don't seek approval for) the odd expensive hobby purchase now and then. If no one had their guilty little secrets we'd all be very dull :-)

I make sure we are financially ok, number 1 priority, and if I make a bit of extra money and choose to spend it on a hobby purchase, I think that's up to me. The Mrs trusts me to put the family first and, I sold my scope last year to cover some household bills so I think that goes without saying... likewise I trust her too and know she won't go and spend money that will put us in financial trouble.

As has been said... if the money's there, it may as well be sitting in the form of some shiny astro gear rather than sitting in an account somewhere making the bank money.

That's my 2.5p anyway :-)

Ben

My Astronomy bits are funded by a part time job, so the 13mm Hyperion i just ordered will turn up maybe Friday and i may just let the wife sign for it, and to show its not all me, i did buy here a £6 bottle of perfume from Amazon couple of weeks back...:D

Just told the OH I'm getting another scope, (No 4) response was "Oh Really" this one is for a project job I'm going to work on, and bless her, she driving me to pick ip up on the weekend.

Once finnished, I shall be retiring the Tal, and sending it to fleabay.

I didnt mean youre fibbing, I mean in general - ie the theme of this thread

I know I wasnt included lol, but I will fib if it protects her.

Archived