Shoestring Astronomy?

Hi All,

Has anyone dealt with shoestring astronomy and had anything shipped over from the us? it just that I worked out that For the 4 things I want to convert my eq3-2 controller for autoguiding would be $111.00 inc postage ($11.00) to uk which is around £70

If I order the same stuff from opticstar it will be £107.70 which is nearly £40 difference.

I know suppliers have to get stuff shipped over but can £40 difference realy be justified?

Kev

Not had anything shipped, but have used their kit. Don't forget if it goes through customs you will have to pay tax on it.

just checked, Import duty would be £0.00 but would have to pay £16.60 VAT so still lots cheaper.

Kev.

My tip is to always use couriers (if possible) when ordering from the US. The royal mail charges a handling fee (I think it used to be £6 but may have gone up) to pay the customs duty on your behalf then reclaim it from you, none of the big couriers do, so you only pay the actual duty charge.

Also USPS to royal mail takes for ever, the couriers tend to be much faster.

If its within £20 either way between courier and USPS / royal mail, its worth doing the courier

I've bought some Shoestring Astronomy parts before (a GPUSB unit, I recall, converting my old handset for auto guiding) but obtained them from Opticstar here in the Uk. They have a fairly good range of Shoestring products, so I'd try them first to save the aggro of importing them yourself.

• 3 years later...

I just collected my GPUSB, from the post office. Surprised to have £19.40 to pay, including £8 handling.

Add to that, the packaging was split "outside the UK". It was a very neat "split"

Hoping it hasn't been damaged. Got an ST4 cable to buy, Think I'll get that from the UK....

post-42779-0-03305100-1426234191.jpg

post-42779-0-64250700-1426234191.jpg

post-42779-0-61397000-1426234192.jpg

post-42779-0-13772000-1426234193.jpg

I just collected my GPUSB, from the post office. Surprised to have £19.40 to pay, including £8 handling.

Add to that, the packaging was split "outside the UK". It was a very neat "split"

Hoping it hasn't been damaged. Got an ST4 cable to buy, Think I'll get that from the UK....

You'll have import duty to pay for anything ordered from outside the EU valued (if memory serves) over £50.

Customs do check that the contents of some packages match the label. I'm sure when you think about it you'd agree that they can hardly blindly waive everything through.

There is a duty calculator somewhere on the.gov website but it doesn't include handling fees which vary wildly between couriers.

I usually allow for about 20%.

I think it's rather unfair to tag Shoestring with a problem that has nothing to do with them. I've dealt with them and gotten exemplary service and communication. I couldn't be happier.

I'm not sure anyone is "tagging shoestring", merely pointing out the pitfalls of ordering from os. As you say, you not living in the uk may not be affected by import/vat etc. Those of us that do live here need to know its not a case of just paying the advertised price.

No-one to my knowledge has said shoestring are to blame for import problems

I wasn't tagging Shoestring, with the damage to the packaging, that was definitely down to the carrier.

Had it been opened by customs, it would have had a "customs inspected" seal on it.

The way the package was "split", indicates, that some other individual, took a peek.

I'm sure that this is an isolated case & as far as Shoestring are concerned, produce some great kit.

another thing to concider, if the item is faulty, you will probably be liable for post to and from the usa.

I agree, I think there are a lot of apparent bargains to be had buying from overseas. But you should factor in the cost of possibly returning the item if it is faulty. For peace of mind I would shop in the UK.

Also you do get sound advice from most of the retailers based here.

Peter

Archived