Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Coma Corrector or Not!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just curious how many of you guys use a coma corrector at f5 for purely visual obs?

I have one (well, two actually) but purely for imaging. For visual observation it doesn't bother me that the fringes of the field of view might not be in focus, whereas you notice it in images.

I suppose out of curiosity more than anything. I was browsing on Cloudy Nights earlier and i came across a thread where the general feeling was that any scope f5 and faster benefited significantly with a coma corrector. I haven't really noticed it to be honest in either of my scopes so i'll leave well enough alone.

I know coming from a TAL200K F/10 to a 200P F/5 newt I was shocked how brutal fast scopes are on EP's and hoped a coma corrector to be the answer but all the feedback was negative. On the flip side looking through Moonshanes 26 Nag & paracor in his F/4 (not sure if F/4.5) 16" the views looked far better than in my slower F/5 without any correction. If that makes any sense ?

I only use my coma corrector for imaging. I haven't tried it for visual, I suppose it would make quite a difference but I tend to look in the centre of the FOV for observing so I don't really notice the coma at the edges.

There was a S/H one on eBay not so long ago for £170 if memory serves me correct. Not a bad price given the benefits but you also have to take into consideration the mild barlowing effect using these. Looking at your sig Damo it looks like a paracorr would be the finishing post finally reached as there isn't really anything else you'd need. :D

I won't have it till tomorrow but it will be an interesting comparison. The Ethos are the sharpest eyepiece i have ever looked through but if you can believe the hype the XW are supposed to be able to give them a run for their money, fov aside of course. Time will tell!

I think you will be impressed with the 10mm XW :(

I borrowed one from FLO when I had T6 Naglers and, at that time, it was the 1st eyepiece I'd tried that improved on the T6 9mm. The Ethos was the next one - I reckon the XW10 is very Ethos-like or the Ethos is very XW-like, whichever way you want to play it :D

I once knew a fella who owned an astronomy shop and he raved about the Pentax as being the best EP's on the market. Now if I owned an astronomy shop, had access to numerous EP's and was an avid astronomer with compression rings in my focuser I would be making sure my trade price EP's gave me the best views there was. So I'm guessing you will be impressed with the 10mm XW Damo :D

I like the XW's a lot (I've got a boxfull) but I'm not sure they're all that special. Anyone coming to SGL7 up for doing a side by side comparison with some TV's or ES's and posting a review?

Apologies for taking this off topic ;)

I use a Paracorr as Nick says and at F5 I have never really felt like I needed to use it. I have had a f5.3 12" dob and have a 6" f5. however in my big dob which is f4 it makes a massive difference. it's easy to use and just sits like a barlow in the focuser. I bought mine for £160 used so not cheap but only 50% more than maybe a Baader CC?

Archived