Hi all (From Nepal)

Nirajan Regmi

Hi all, I am new to astronomy. I googled and found this forum. My brother gifted me a telescope 4 days ago.

The telescope is Orion SkyScanner 100mm TableTop Reflector (Amazon.com: Orion SkyScanner 100mm TableTop Reflector Telescope: Camera & Photo) .

I also got starry night software and installed it on my laptop. With the help of the software I knew that those 2 bright stars in the sky are actually planets Venus and Jupiter. With the help of 2 eyepieces (20mm and 10mm) I was able to focus in on Jupiter and see the four moons of Jupiter. The view was very fascinating and interesting.

After that I had no idea what to watch and learned from websites that I can use 2x or 3x Barlow lens for better magnification and close up views.

My question with all the members is what can I expect from the telescope and what are the things I can view with my telescope?

Also which Barlow lens is better, 1.25" 2x Barlow lens or 1.25" 3x Barlow lens?

Amazon.com: Orion Shorty 1.25" 2x Barlow Lens: Camera & Photo

OR

Amazon.com: Orion Tri-Mag 1.25" 3x Barlow Lens: Health & Personal Care

Please help, TY.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello, Nirajan, and welcome to SGL :D

I would think that with the excellent dark skies in Nepal, you will be able to see far more than many of us.

If you really want a barlow, I would normally suggest starting with a 2x, as the 3x may give too much magnification for the scope, and be less useful.

However, it may be that, in Nepal, the crystal clear skies will allow you to use a 3x.

Best wishes :)

I have a telescope similar to yours that I use when camping. It gives me wonderful images of the moon but is quite a challenge when trying to find deep-sky objects such as reclusive Messiers. I would greatly recommend a Barlow since it will give you more details when looking at the planets.

Have fun and welcome to the forum!

I strongly suggest you go out in the early evenings and check out Venus and Jupiter!

Isabelle

Archived