Hi all

Mud5870

hiya all

I'm new to astornamy, but i have always found space facinating and spend a lot of time looking up at the stars wondering.

Found the site by chance and may i say its full of great info and advice.

I have read loads of advice on buying a scope. and filled a basket at FLO.

I dont have much of a buget but heres what im thinking.

Skywatcher Skymax 127 SynScan AZ GOTO

Skytron Power Cable for Skywatcher AZ GOTO

Revelation Photo-Visual Eyepiece kit

Nikon T ring for my DSLR Camera.

I'll get a powerpack from else where :D

Any discount codes i should know about would be great.

Hi and welcome to the forum. Can I suggest you read a review written here on this forum concerning your scope which you might find helpful. Forget the eyepiece kit for now as although the eyepieces that come with the scope aren't great, they will do for now until you work out you feel YOU need (depends on what you are observing) and not what someone else has decided for you. I'm not suggesting that this particular kit is bad, in fact it is one of the better ones, but inevitably there will be one or two eyepieces that you hardly use and so the 'value for money' you originally hoped for will start to fade away.

The scope itself will be great for lunar and planetary viewing due to its focal length but 'aperture is aperture' and it's narrower field of view compared to a dobsonian (using the same budget) won't make this the best choice for observing galaxies and nebula as they require more light to be captured. The trade off here is of course that you have a GOTO system to help you locate the objects but remember, just because a system can take you to the object, doesn't mean that you will see much of it when you get there, or certainly not enough of to sustain your interest. Lastly, I guess the T-ring attachment is to help you pursue an interest in imaging cosmic objects? Well a simple webcam will work fine on gathering lunar or planetary data from which to process an image but the type of mount (Alt-Azimuth) will not be suitable to image galaxies etc. These deep sky objects or DSO's, are very faint, therefore they will need a more precise mount to enable you to perform longer exposures to capture enough data to construct a final image and the 'stepped' way in which this mounts moves across the sky (though hardly noticeable to the eye) will certainly show up on the final image and spoil it. Steve Richards' "Making Every Photon Count" (FLO £19.95) is a brilliant book to help you get started in imaging and especially before you buy any kit. If imaging is your ultimate goal, I would strongly recommend getting this book before getting the T-ring and eyepiece set.

I don't wish to come across as a Mr not this or not that sort of person, but there is so much information out there promising you everything and helping you to part with your money. I just want you to get the most out your start in to astronomy by avoiding disappointments.

Clear skies

James

Thanks for the great welcome.

Thanks for the advice James. I think i'll have a read of that book before i buy anything. btw do Dobs track or would i need somehting on an EQ mount? I really like the idea of the GOTO for learning my way around the sky.

Archived