Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Naglers.

kirkster501

I can't make my mind up whether or not I like the Naglers, or more specifically my 17mm. The round "window" that moves around with your eye I find quite annoying at times. Yet, when you get your eye in the right place, normally center axis, its great - its a gem on Trapezium and many doubles. But as a general rule for me I just want to plonk the EP in and look just as you would in a pair of bins !!! Do *any* EP's allow you to do that?

I find my Pan 35 much more "relaxing" to use. And I borrowed a Radian 10mm and I liked that too.

So jury out in Steve world. Not going to do anything drastic just yet like sell it (I brought it as a brand spanker and its only got 10 hours use). Will slowly evaluate over time.

Steve

I think it is fair to say that the wider the angle, the harder it is to use the EP. That has to be true, but I find viewing easier in my 82 degree Speer WALER than my 68 degree hyperions.

I have had a 35mm Panoptic and found that especially easy to use. I now have ten eyepieces ranging from 7mm orthos with short eye relief and narrow field to a 26mm Nagler with an 82 degree field and even a 13mm Ethos with 15mm eye relief and 100 degree field. I also have Radians too. I find the key with any eyepiece is that they all have their own characteristics and best targets with which they seem to work at their ultimate.

My most comfy eyepiece is my 26mm Nagler and this is for me the ultimate eyepiece, especially for my big dob. I can often observe with the 16" with this in the focuser all night and with the 13mm Ethos it's all I need the bulk of the time with that scope. I sometimes toy with changing it (the 13mm Ethos) for a 17mm Nagler with which it shares the same approx true field and slightly lower power as I heard that T4s are very comfortable to use. I can never really seriously consider this for long though.

Initially I found my Nagler 12T4 a bit tricky to use you have to get your eye placement just right otherwise you get blackouts. The 12T4 comes with a ring to aid with initial pupil placement did you get something similar with the 17T4?

If you find you can't get on with the ep I can certainly recommend the 19mm Panoptic as a possible replacement it is a real beauty to use.

The T4 Naglers have a "feel" which is unlike other Naglers due to:

- Longer eye relief than other Nagler types

- A larger eye lens than other Nagler types

- The "Instajust" click stop eyecup

Usually these characteristics make the T4's more comfortable for many than other Naglers but that does not mean they will suit everyone.

Did you get a pupil guide (black plastic disk with a hole in) with the eyepiece ? It might be worth giving that a try as it's purpose is to help you position your eye. They are supplied with the TV eyepieces with the longer eye relief ie: the Radians and the Nagler T4's. Here are the instructions for use:

http://www.televue.com/pdf/literature/Pupil%20Guide%20Instructions.pdf

Edit: Chris got there 1st with that one !

Hi Steve

I like the 17mm Nagler very much and have used it for a year ,I also use it on my SCT 8" it's X118 with exit pupil 1.7 true field (arcmin)42* I think you must give it some time to get used to it as I'm sure others will tell you the same on here

clear skies

Thanks for you inputs guys.

@John yes indeed. It states in that link

"... we have noticed that a few inexperienced observers have had some difficulties. The enormous eye lens aperture and eye relief of these eyepieces made it difficult for them to locate the exit pupil when viewing with a dark sky background...."

Yes, thats me. More experience from me I think. And yes I did get teh pupil guide.

Rgds, Steve

I should stress by the way that although I forgot to say it, I totally agree with the 'try for a lot longer before you decide' guys.

Yes nothing drastic planned yet :D I know its a nice Ep just a bit unsure with it. The Pan ands Rads are less fussy in my [limited] experience.

Steve

I love the T4 Naglers (which is why I have all of them). The trick is to get the click-stop just right (one click on the 22T4 and 17T4, and none on the 12T4 for me with my glasses). It is then very easy to get the right position. I do agree that the 68deg FOV 40mm Paragon is just a touch easier to use for novices, which is why it is still in my EP case. I now almost always go for the 31T5, which is quite comfortable to me. A bit of practice helps. Radians come with a similar click-stop system, and they also come with the bit of cardboard to find the right spot.

Archived