NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hi One and all.

R1gel

Another Cox covert here.

Been using 15x70 binos and attempting to find my way around sky. Reading lot of books articles and of course this tremendous site.

Just on the verge of doing what all common sense and advice warns against by leaping in with a purchase on a 12" Dobo.

Probably won't find a thing for the first few months as it's non goto but hey it's the thrill of the chase and the personal satisfaction of finding the target that appeals to my sense of adventure. Wish me luck.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi and welcome to SGL. That's a fair size scope you're thinking of buying. It will give some excellent views. Quite a few people who use this forum have one. I'm sure that one or two will be along to welcome you and can tell you what you need to know about dobs.

Clear skies.

Hi and welcome to the forum. If you were buying anything smaller, then waiting first becomes more relevant because of the eventual need to want to upgrade, As it is, you have got stuck in at a very good size of scope which will certainly resolve plenty of detail for you to keep you busy! In addition to Mr Q's 'Starmaps' suggestion to help you find objects, you could also take a look at Stellarium here. Its a free piece of planetarium software that is fun and easy to use and will help you identify what you are looking at. A nice feature is the advance clock/calendar which you can use to see what's coming up and where it will appear - Saturn at the moment being a good example. You can amend the screen to show you as much or as little as you want which is really helpful in developing knowledge of the night sky when the clouds come in.

Enjoy and wishing you clear skies for your new scope.

James

Archived