Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Thank you for your application for CERT/ Astronomy Cert/UCLAN Preston

sanmatt

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I must be bonkers, it won't even count towards my CPD for work, I want to get chartered and astro stuff wont mean jack. Argh, damn my hubby for buying me a fab new hobby at Christmas!

But what we have to remember is that it is only a 1st year module.

• 2 months later...

So... what does one actually do with an astronomy certificate or degree? I imagine the job opportunities that require one are somewhat limited.

And if it has ANY physics or maths in it what so ever then that would be me straight out of the door!

It wont do anything for my particular career, I'm in biomedicine so nothing whatsoever to do with astronomy. So for me this is just for my personal learning.

But Jonathan it's only a first year module - so usually it will be 18 yr olds fresh for being spoon fed at school doing this, so we ought not to be bombarded with heavy maths and physics at this stage.

Undertaking a degree in Astronomy will give you a solid grounding in many areas of physics which could lead to doing a masters or PhD in nuclear physics, theoretical physics, particle physics etc etc.

From this, the job opportunities will be massive in the future as technology becomes more and more a part of people's lives. People with physics degrees will be required in many fields from launching and monitoring satellites to nano technology in computer chips to research into making nuclear fusion a viable option for the Earth's future energy demands.

For me, this first step is highly exciting. I don't have a plan for what to do if and when I complete the degree but I know that whatever I end up doing, having done Astronomy will stand me in good stead.

I believe many of the level 1 (1st year equivalent) modules are fairly straight-forward maths-wise. Apart from the 'Energy, Matter and the Universe' module which teaches the required maths needed to progress to level 2 modules. Once you start on level 3 modules, I expect that you will have covered a fair bit of maths in order to study relativity and extreme states of matter etc

I'm so excited to start, I can't wait!:)

There's something that appeals about the idea of doing a degree in Astronomy. As the school where my wife works is looking for people to reduce their hours or take redundancy however, I think perhaps adding another drain on our finances right now may not be the right decision.

Shame. It looks like it could be fun, even if it does take six years. Would there be any jobs for fifty year olds with BSc.s in both Computer Science and Astronomy, I wonder?

James

Shame. It looks like it could be fun, even if it does take six years. Would there be any jobs for fifty year olds with BSc.s in both Computer Science and Astronomy, I wonder?

James

I would love to do it and would then be the same as I have a BSc in Computing :) But I fear its just too much money for the luxury for me. I will have a shop around though to see what my options are :rolleyes:

It would be quite cool to have a Doctorate in Astronomy.

im looking at this course but its either pay for the course or save for a scope.....i think ill choose the latter for the time being.

Im only 27 so have a few years left in me yet !

Good luck though to all who are doing it !

Archived