Narrowband

Thank you for your application for CERT/ Astronomy Cert/UCLAN Preston

sanmatt

Well I'm now completely confused :)

Could anyone else chip in with what their "Course Applied For:" says?

I was too for a while......

I'd advise you to phone/e-mail them and ask about which course/module you are on. They were very helpful......

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was too for a while......

I'd advise you to phone/e-mail them and ask about which course/module you are on. They were very helpful......

I will do thanks.

Maybe there's another sanity check whilst I wait for a reply, were you asked to pay £375 or £475?

PS - 4000th post, yay me being a Red Dwarf!

£375 for me.

It does all seem a bit disjointed. I received a letter in June saying "we don't have email contact details for you" when they'd already sent me information by email, and then in July I received an email with a link to their portal saying I should receive a letter with a UCAS Id which would be my username, and giving my password. I've not received any such letter however (nor would I expect to, since I didn't apply through UCAS, obviously) and when I visit the portal it says it's only for full-time undergrads, which I'm clearly not.

I get the impression they're really not quite on top of the distance learning thing yet. I shall email them about it now and see what they have to say.

James

This is the course that we have applied for ( well the astronomy one). This consists of a single module and awards 20 credits. The other course: VSASTR511 consiste of six modules and gives 120 credits and is followed by the Diploma course and then Bsc. You can progress directly to the full degree course by completing relevent University certificate courses.

University Certificate Courses in Astronomy & Cosmology

Each University Certificate comprises a single module (20 credits at level 1), and is designed to require approximately 200 hours of study between October and May. Each University Certificate concentrates on a particular subject.

These Certificates are entry points, requiring no prior subject knowledge and so require only Maths GCSE Grade C and English GCSE Grade C or equivalent.

All the Certificate modules are also available as part of the larger awards under Advanced Study.

Received a response regarding access to the applicant portal. I'm not expected to have access and the email was sent in error. I should get access to the students portal once they've set up the accounts and emailed the access details out. The irony of having more than one portal is apparently lost on them.

James

Does everyone that has been accepted meet the criteria for the maths requirement?

I'm interested in doing something like this but never put any effort into my GCSEs so I miss out on the C grade requirement.

Does everyone that has been accepted meet the criteria for the maths requirement?

I'm interested in doing something like this but never put any effort into my GCSEs so I miss out on the C grade requirement.

I'm afraid I am going in with two Maths A-Levels so I can't advise

Have you looked through the maths study pack? http://www.studyastr...s/mathspack.pdf

Yes I have been checking through it. I have just sent an email to see how much of a requirement it is.

Its certain aspects like trig that I'll be either extremely rusty on or not have a clue.

Really wish I'd have paid more attention at school rather than chasing girls and playing sports :embarrassed:

I had thought about that route but it does also mean starting the astronomy course next year.

I suppose in the grand scheme of things it may be the right choice but if I can get up to speed while studying AA1051 that may be my preference

@Stephen congrats on 4000th post, are you still doing the OU degree or have you switched to UCLAN?

I have just received my acceptance for the OU, doing an open degree to follow the astrophysics route, I did consider doing the certificate in astronomy with them, but I would like to do more, so I start the s104 exploring science course in October. I am currently doing s177 galaxies stars and planets a 10 point course which I'm enjoying.

@Stephen congrats on 4000th post, are you still doing the OU degree or have you switched to UCLAN?

I have just received my acceptance for the OU, doing an open degree to follow the astrophysics route, I did consider doing the certificate in astronomy with them, but I would like to do more, so I start the s104 exploring science course in October. I am currently doing s177 galaxies stars and planets a 10 point course which I'm enjoying.

I've ditched OU :)

Two main reason

1. I'm not going to complete before I'd be expected to pay tuition fees (too expensive)
  2. I've decided that OU isn't "astrophysics-y" enough, hence UCLAN

Stephen - Did you ask about transering OU credits into the UCLan course?

No I didn't, I only had 30 points (S104) and from what I read on the web site they were looking for longer or more related study.

I could be wrong, but I decided it wasn't worth the hassle :)

Any of you guys doing the Astronomy course managed to log on and access the applications..... ie MSword etc? When launching them an application error appears. I think there is a known issue with using IE9. I have managed to get into the webCT area where there are some user guides...... was hoping to get a peek at the workbook, it's not there.

Archived