SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Thank you for your application for CERT/ Astronomy Cert/UCLAN Preston

sanmatt

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've started the application and hope to do this course. I'm 58 years old and I'm a psychologist. I have been quite used to studying as I have completed quite a few courses in recent years. I was originally an Electronics/IT Engineer so I've done a bit of maths and luckily my wife has a degree in maths! I must admit to some trepidation but mixed with excitement!

Just started filling in the application form for this and was wondering, have any of you others that have already applied left the referees section blank? Surely for a course like this they dont need to go too in depth with this sort of thing? Not that I have a murky past or anything!!! I'm just impatient and want to apply NOW and not have to wait for a reference from someone.

I didn't offer any and added a note that as I've worked for myself for fifteen years they'd already discounted pretty much anyone who I could offer as a referee, but if they really wanted one to get back to me. They didn't bother.

James

Best of luck to everyone enrolling!

I did the equivalent of a BSc and MSc in Astronomy at the Kapteyn Institute in Groningen. Maths and physics are essentially the main diet (especially in the first years), and you had to have taken maths and physics at the equivalent of an A-level to be admitted. I rather like that side of astronomy, even though I am a bit more of an observer now. For anyone wondering what the job prospects are with such a degree: they are fine. Beyond going into academia there are plenty of places where they need people who can bend their minds around complex equations. Other than that it is a great personal enrichment, which is priceless.

I turned to digital image processing and computer vision as my main line of work (did a PhD in computer science on that), but fortunately I have been collaborating with astronomers again.

• 2 weeks later...

Just out of interest, those of you who have already been accepted onto this course, how long did you have to wait after filling in the application until you were accepted on? Been waiting 10 days or so now and getting impatient!!

Just out of interest, those of you who have already been accepted onto this course, how long did you have to wait after filling in the application until you were accepted on? Been waiting 10 days or so now and getting impatient!!

Maybe you're not cut out for astronomy :)

Mine took two to three weeks, AFAIR.

James

I may well be deferring this course for a year, there's a strong possibility that October will see me on a 4 week residential course on gynae cytology, I could never manage both :(

Oh no! That would be a shame! It was your post that started everyone else off looking into this course in the first place! Maybe they would let you start a few weeks late and catch up??

Oh no! That would be a shame! It was your post that started everyone else off looking into this course in the first place! Maybe they would let you start a few weeks late and catch up??

Indeed it would. Real life can be such a nuisance at times...

James

hopefully I can just struggle throughout the first month, but I definitely cant mess up my work course, I have exams every other day on that. Proper diagnosing cancer stuff it is, if I screen one slide. Incorrectly it's immediate fail :( but being realistic I not sure I could cope with both during October

• 2 weeks later...

The communication I have received has been fairly random.

I got information about an applicants portal, which appears to be for full time undergraduates only, so not really relevant to this course.

I also received a email with a link to click to confirm my application. Clicking the link gets a blank page, with no indication as to whether it worked or not.

As the payment confirmation and qualifications were emailed to a single person, it is always possible they are on holiday at the moment, so I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt for another week.

They do seem to be somewhat disorganised.

Jon

Archived