Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Thank you for your application for CERT/ Astronomy Cert/UCLAN Preston

sanmatt

Oh, yes, another thing that amused me... I've been effectively self-employed since the late 90s (not in the legal sense, but I'm the major shareholder and director of the company that employs me). None of the companies for whom I worked for the ten years before that now exist -- two have disappeared completely and whilst there is a company with the same name as my first employer, I'm almost certain it's not actually the same company.

I am the corporate kiss of death. People should pay me not to work for them :)

James

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good Luck Sandra, October will come around soon enough:). Let me know how it goes via PM's.

I'm a bit long in the tooth to do it with you :(, but have fun:)

Cheers Luv.

Well I hinted at the HSD at work, didnt get much support or encouragment so I'll do this instead!

I am the corporate kiss of death. People should pay me not to work for them :(

James

LOL. I'm glad that I am not the only one. I not only curse corporations but am solely responsible for most of the recessions in the last 30 years. Every time I leave a nice secure job the bottom falls out of the economy and leaves me (and my new employer) in a precarious situation.

I've got nothing but admiration for anybody embarking on further study. When I did my finals in Physics 26 years ago I swore that I would never do another exam. Unfortunately 2 years ago I had to sit 3 Cisco exams for work and it almost killed me. To make matters even worse I have to retake them this summer as my accreditation has expired. it's not going to leave much time for doing anything interesting.

• 3 weeks later...

Oct start is good - autumn winter is better than spring summer.

I did the Open University equivalent in 2003 that blew my mind - this is before I got into astro imaging. I bought prior to this the Kauffman Freedman Universe release 6 book which was/is superb. Its maths are well presented and easy to follow - it assumes nothing. It still serves as my "bible".

I wish you every success. Enjoy.

Looks like I'm in too;

I am pleased to inform you that you have been accepted for a place on the Certificate HE Astronomy commencing October 2012. Please note that this is an unconditional offer.

Yes, I know the feeling. Have a business to run and wife/9 year old/7 year old to support. I'd love to do the degree and perhaps will do at some point, but I'm not sure I can go straight from nothing to the full monty in one hit.

James

I did this course 2 years ago - it's really interesting and excellent value for money I thought! In fact I enjoyed it so much I'm now a full time bona fide student. Studying Astrophysics in Aberystwyth, all because of that course. Genuinely changed my life, so I''m sure you won't regret it!

I bought prior to this the Kauffman Freedman Universe release 6 book which was/is superb. Its maths are well presented and easy to follow - it assumes nothing. It still serves as my "bible".

I wish you every success. Enjoy.

Yes indeed - an excellent bock and absolutely worth the cover price!

Yes, I know the feeling. Have a business to run and wife/9 year old/7 year old to support. I'd love to do the degree and perhaps will do at some point, but I'm not sure I can go straight from nothing to the full monty in one hit.

James

I got a teen aswell!

But yeah I know what you mean. I think it will be hard to do as well having some sort of normal life aswell. I'm hoping to do another course at work and that is epically tough going - this one - histological dissection. http://www.rcpath.org/committees/specialty-advisory-committees/histopathology/diploma-of-extended-practice-in-histological-dissection

I was reading the training log book earlier on and nearly puked at it's extent. but oh it's just so beautiful. Thats the baby I want to do.

But I think it's good couple of years off yet.

Just that one. For now. I work mate, and got a toddler, I cannot put myself through another full degree!!
One of my fellow mature students has 3 kids and is doing a full time degree with me! True, he's not exactly loaded, but he's getting by fine, and enjoys it immensely :)

A year ago, my wife was a full-time student finishing an Education degree after getting Master's degrees in Physics and Engineering years earlier.

At the time, I had a 50% overload at work, she had an 80-minute one-way trip to school, and our daughter was four years old. We survived, but I not recommend this type of thing.

Good luck to everyone!

I did my first degree whilst working full time, and raising a toddler on my own, and did my MSc full time, again on my own with a child. I do not want to do another full degree, I haven't the time or energy despite not being on my own anymore lol. I just want to do enough to learn the basics, that's enough for me. :)

I did my first degree whilst working full time, and raising a toddler on my own, and did my MSc full time, again on my own with a child.

Wow! I can't imagine doing this. :)

I do not want to do another full degree, I haven't the time or energy despite not being on my own anymore lol. I just want to do enough to learn the basics, that's enough for me. ;)

Curiosity is a wonderful thing.

Wow! I can't imagine doing this. :)

Curiosity is a wonderful thing.

Thank you. (also went through a bad divorce and homelessness with a 4 yr old in my 2nd yr, but like hell was I losing my degree as a result!!)

I think for me because I am struggling to learn astro stuff on my own, I feel I need some sort of formal learning, I need to be told what to learn and how to learn it ;)

I think for me because I am struggling to learn astro stuff on my own, I feel I need some sort of formal learning, I need to be told what to learn and how to learn it :)

That's kinda why I ended up going full time - I was trying to teach myself, but I really need someone looking over my shoulder - I never even did A-levels, and my GCSE's were a long time ago now, so it's a hell of a jump to go from naught to full on.

The UCLan course was an excellent bridge, and I believe you can basically keep going for years with it if you want. I think to get a full degree would take quite a long time, but from a purely interest point of view it's perfect.

And the best thing for me was they started nice and basic, explaining all the terminology as it goes along and never making me feel stupid (which is fairly simple lol)!

• 1 month later...

Archived