Now then

LoonyToons

How do all.

Thought I should finally sign up for this place. Been lurking since before Christmas, trying to learn from the wealth of knowledge and great experience on here.

I've had an interest in the stars for most of my life. Finally got a telescope 12 or so years ago, a TAL 150pm. But due to numerous factors never took it further. Tho did really enjoy the times spent using the scope. 12 years later, after meaning to "get back into it" for ages, a daughter who when asked what books she wanted for Christmas replied "books about stars and that, I want learn about space" was the kick I needed.

Dusted down and rebuilt the TAL. Had a go at collimation. Erm, think I'll need to look into that a bit more before I know what I'm doing. Eyepieces weren't in very good condition either. The 25mm was a bit mucky, the 10mm was always rubbish and the barlow had gone completely weird. About a third to a half of the glass had gone black and I couldn't see anything through it at all. So after much reading on here I ordered a couple of the BST eyepieces from Sky's the Limit (25mm and 8mm) and one of the generic x2 barlows and we're back in the game.

After a couple of fairly successful sessions a few weeks ago, finderscope sort of pointing in the right direction, tho the less said about aligning the scope the better, the bug had bitten once again. New books bought. Star maps dug out. Astro software reinstalled. Skies cloudy ever since. Sorry about that.

Then this week, common sense and sanity went out the window and I ordered a new telescope. A Skywatcher 300p Flextube from FLO. My wife knew I was getting one and knows how much it was. Not sure if she realises it's twice as big as the one we've already got! Never mind. Too late now.

Can't wait.

Anyway, I hope to be annoying people on the forum any time soon with incessant questioning on get the best out of the new scope and what new stuff to buy. Also keen on getting the TAL sorted out as well, so could be a couple of questions on that too.

Cheers for now,

John

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived