NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Where do you keep yours?

AstroMum

I tend to store my refractor on it's Alt/az mount in the corner of the dining room, ready to go should conditions allow.

However it only takes a couple of days of it sitting there before the wife starts commenting and it's time to pack it down into it's bags/boxes.

Alternatively my 12 month old daughter who is just starting to walk likes using it as a climbing frame :icon_salut:

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Until we sort some room in the garage, everything is kept in the front room. And I take it outside as soon as I get home from work (it's literally the first thing I do).

The EPS etc ar ein a box on the dining table.

The other half is fine as long as I put them away out of the reach of our 1 yr old.

Mine stays in the dining room. It's unheated which helps.

But then, if it looks like we will have more than a couple of cloud free nights I keep it in the garage on the mount for ease of setup and no cooling down.

I keep mine in the conservatory at the moment. I am in the middle of trying to organise storage so looking at various bags etc... I am a newbie to this stargazing world so this could be a stupid thing to mention, but my reflector telescope has a end cap for both the tube and the site glass. Is this not enough to stop dust. I thought having that blanked off would seal it enough to prevent any dust from entering the tube and settling on the mirrors? :icon_salut:

Thanks

Scott

Luckily we have two garages, so its kept out there, nice and cool, so no problems cooling down quickly.

As its a Tal-1 and the mount is heafty, tube is put into a box lined with bubble wrap, and mount is in its own little corner, and as its so dark here, its brought out while there is still some light about.

I keep mine in the loft,within a quick slide of the Velux window,I keep it covered with the original packaging clear plastic bag just to keep it free of dust,

It gets used a lot up there,but its not in the way if I don't use it for a while,

Only problem I have is having to take it down 2 flights of stairs to get outside with it (add all the other stuff and thats a lot of up and down the stairs)

Not ideal,but I cannot store it anywhere else untill the GF lets me convert one of her sheds into a roll off roof obs :)

JJ..:icon_salut:

The mount sits in the corner in the Kitchen by the back door with most of the other gear ready to go, the Tube sits in it's original box taking up a lot of space in the spare room.

I argue that there's no where else for the gear to go as it needs to be accessible :) so i've played this to my advantage and got permission to build an observatory :icon_salut:

Hope to get it planned out by the weekend ;)

having only had it a few weeks, mines still in the living room, but it can't stay there. I have room in the shed/garage for it, will my dobs be ok to be cold/possibly damp all the time? I'm thinking from the wood's point of view? :icon_salut:

Both of mine live in the shed, the Tal 2 has the added protection of its wooden box.

This brings me to the question I've been meaning to ask - but never got around to - which is, with the consistent likelihood of sub zero temperatures at this time of year, is there ever an issue of damage to the mirror?

When it's clear or likely to be clear in the next few days mine lives in the corner of the lounge on the AltAz mount ready to go. When it looks like I'm in for a week of cloud or it's pronounced untidy it gets put away in boxes under the stairs.

Scope storage is the major gripe my girlfriend has with this hobby.

Tyr

Understand that, Tyr.

Mrs Marki is pretty miffed with the lounge here taken up by the new TAL on its EQ5. Really dominates a small room! Still, she can see under the tube to the tv... .:)

The NexStar lives in its various boxes up in the spare room - I guess the TAL will have to migrate up there too :icon_eek:.

Hoping for some clear skies at a reasonable time tonight...then maybe Mrs Marki gets her lounge back and I can give the TAL its first outing :-).

If you keep it in a conservatory Just make sure it is fully covered cos some of the exposed parts on my scope have got sun bleached

I was going to ask: if I kept a refractor in the conservatory will the extremes in temperature damage it? Conservatories get pretty close to the minimum external temperature (minus whatever) and up to the late 30s/40C in the summer.

Archived