NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Televue Price Rise

AstroManDan

Hi,

Just noticed that all Televue prices have risen a fair bit.

1.25" Powermates are now £175

2" Powermates start from £265

TV 40mm Plossl's £120

TV Barlow £100

Look back at these prices from Jul 2010.

Telescope House Barlows

I also noticed the other day that Hard Drive prices have increased, you used to get about 1TB for £50, now 1TB seems to be £100.

Dan

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yup just a follow on from the price increases announced in the States at the tail end of last year.

The hard drive prices are due to the Tsunami and the drop in production and knock on supply issues to to demand.

Hi Dan yes the price have got up alot, I was after a Nagler 22mm t4 and the price had gone up by £60.00 Now £425.00 and then you get a email through saying 10% off eyepieces

They must think we don't notice :-)

Hi Dan yes the price have got up alot, I was after a Nagler 22mm t4 and the price had gone up by £60.00 Now £425.00 and then you get a email through saying 10% off eyepieces

They must think we don't notice :-)

My goodness that is a big increase. Robtics is still listing the Nagler 22T4 for 405 euros. TS list 499 euros :icon_salut:

....I wonder how this will affect the second hand market?

Used prices will increase too. A Tele Vue 6mm Ethos sold a couple of days back on UK Astro Buy & Sell. It was advertised for £380.00. A couple of months back they were much closer to £300.

Looked at a few at Astrofest and although nice I cannot see me purchasing any of the TV range in the future.

Know they are good but no longer sure that the price is any longer worth the cost. They never were in the budget bracket but this increase pushes them out of consideration for me at least.

Seen a used plossl for sale that is the cost of a new one a year or so ago.

Gosh, I'm glad my eyepiece buying days are over!

Me too :icon_eek:

I was holding out for an Ethos 4.7mm but I've decided to go for a Pentax XW 5mm instead to complete my line up (yes, I know I've said that before :)).

I think mine are as well.

Have a good selection of decent ones that are not overly expensive, BST's, TMB's, Antares W70's, TV Plossl's, WO SWANS. As well as a number of the budget plossl's.

Have to be honest I think TV have handed a big chunk of the market over to Meade and Celestron.

The Meade 5000 and Celestron X-Cel's are both good and cost less then a plossl from TV.

I think mine are as well.

Have a good selection of decent ones that are not overly expensive, BST's, TMB's, Antares W70's, TV Plossl's, WO SWANS. As well as a number of the budget plossl's.

Have to be honest I think TV have handed a big chunk of the market over to Meade and Celestron.

The Meade 5000 and Celestron X-Cel's are both good and cost less then a plossl from TV.

Don't forget Explore Scientific

It is surprising how certain objects have massively increased in price during these times of austerity and the many big price offers are not what they seem.

Objects in a shop and marked up as SALE items have to been sold at the original price for at least 30days. This is UK law.

However if you look closely at some shops they advertise SALES that look like massive savings but if you look how they price items they (especially the likes of PC World) market items at an inflated price for these 30 days then reduce the price to what would be the proper selling price. Check out the small print during the TV ads to see the dates the item was at it's orignal "inflated price".

These are not SALE items, PC world are geninly twisting things to make sure they are just within the letter of the 30day law. Of course you pity the poor sod who buys that laptop etc at the inflated price as soon as it hit the shelves, PC World must be laughing all the way to the bank.

Proper sales items should be on stock that HAS been selling for at least 6 months at the higher price before it can be sold as a sale item, that way it will sort this high price fixing scandal, also it should be based on ALL shops in the chain as certain chain stores will often sell an item in one shop at the high price before rolling out the stock with sales prices across the chain, again this is ripping us off. Tesco did this at Xmas when they selling Turkeys as 50% off for £25 as that turkey had been staged managed by being only available in one London store in the July-October period and selling for £50, come Xmas run up starting in November the 50% whammy comes into effect to hoodwink customers into thinking that they were getting a great deal and a better premium turkey than all the other supermarkets who were genuinely selling their turkeys at a normal selling price of £25.

Another example, this time hobby based. My other hobby is Model Rocketry, as the price of Estes motors were cheap until the UK importer decided a few years back that instead of using the currency market to reflect prices they would do a dollar to the pound conversion which meant the prices doubled virtually over night, a pack of motors that cost £5.99 went to £12, then a few months later they were at £17 which is a massive increase. The UK importer kept saying it was delivery costs that was driving up the price only but funny who the European importer was still selling the motors in Germany,Holland etc for the equivalent of £5.99 (but in euros). After 2 years the UK market dried up and the UK importer lost it's francise and a new importer was found and the prices have now come down virtually overnight to £8.

Don't forget Explore Scientific

Assume you mean the Explore Scientific 15mm 70° eyepiece.

I didn't consider the 82 degree ones as they are more in the premium range. Also not sure which ES and TV are compariable on performance. Not sure if I would be comparing ES to Radians or others.

Have basically stuck to the decent eyepieces at a person looking to up grade from the basics that come with the scopes.

Also didn't actually know of the ES 70 degree eyepieces (5 elements).

It is surprising how certain objects have massively increased in price during these times of austerity and the many big price offers are not what they seem.

Objects in a shop and marked up as SALE items have to been sold at the original price for at least 30days. This is UK law.

However if you look closely at some shops they advertise SALES that look like massive savings but if you look how they price items they (especially the likes of PC World) market items at an inflated price for these 30 days then reduce the price to what would be the proper selling price. Check out the small print during the TV ads to see the dates the item was at it's orignal "inflated price".

These are not SALE items, PC world are geninly twisting things to make sure they are just within the letter of the 30day law. Of course you pity the poor sod who buys that laptop etc at the inflated price as soon as it hit the shelves, PC World must be laughing all the way to the bank.

Proper sales items should be on stock that HAS been selling for at least 6 months at the higher price before it can be sold as a sale item, that way it will sort this high price fixing scandal, also it should be based on ALL shops in the chain as certain chain stores will often sell an item in one shop at the high price before rolling out the stock with sales prices across the chain, again this is ripping us off. Tesco did this at Xmas when they selling Turkeys as 50% off for £25 as that turkey had been staged managed by being only available in one London store in the July-October period and selling for £50, come Xmas run up starting in November the 50% whammy comes into effect to hoodwink customers into thinking that they were getting a great deal and a better premium turkey than all the other supermarkets who were genuinely selling their turkeys at a normal selling price of £25.

Another example, this time hobby based. My other hobby is Model Rocketry, as the price of Estes motors were cheap until the UK importer decided a few years back that instead of using the currency market to reflect prices they would do a dollar to the pound conversion which meant the prices doubled virtually over night, a pack of motors that cost £5.99 went to £12, then a few months later they were at £17 which is a massive increase. The UK importer kept saying it was delivery costs that was driving up the price only but funny who the European importer was still selling the motors in Germany,Holland etc for the equivalent of £5.99 (but in euros). After 2 years the UK market dried up and the UK importer lost it's francise and a new importer was found and the prices have now come down virtually overnight to £8.

More fool the people who fall for this marketing imo :)

It doesnt matter one jot what a item WAS priced at , its more about is it worth that price to you.

Sales in the perceived sense of the word havent happend for at least 20 years i would say (ie once a year around January to clear the previous years stock)

Me too :icon_eek:

I was holding out for an Ethos 4.7mm but I've decided to go for a Pentax XW 5mm instead to complete my line up (yes, I know I've said that before :)).

I was considering one of these also but not now.

Rising costs there may be but I'd say there's an element of greed here. They know their reputation can take it. If 10% less people buy because they're 25% more expensive then they're making money for lower production costs. It also trims the second hand market.

I have always taken the pay for quality approach. But BMW's don't increase 25% overnight. TV are taking the Michael IMO out of their customers and I for one wont play any part in it. My one and only brand new purchase was the 17mm Nag which is magnificent. They would have had custom for a 9mm and 12mm Nag and also a 41mm pan from me as well.

They can stuff it... !

Either TV used or will look elsewhere, maybe Pentax.

Steve

I have always taken the pay for quality approach. But BMW's don't increase 25% overnight. TV are taking the Michael IMO out of their customers and I for one wont play any part in it. My one and only brand new purchase was the 17mm Nag which is magnificent. They would have had custom for a 9mm and 12mm Nag and also a 41mm pan from me as well.

They can stuff it... !

Either TV used or will look elsewhere, maybe Pentax.

Steve

17mm Nagler + Your 2x Powermate = 8.5mm Nagler :icon_eek:

£250 for that 9mm Nagler saved :)

Archived