Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Televue Price Rise

AstroManDan

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Their highly competitive pricing, similar specification and build quality will certainly be clear competition for Tele Vue. The waterproofing is a nice touch too. :icon_scratch:

It was interesting reading another thread that showed x-rays of the Ethos and 100º ES optical layout. They are extremely similar indeed. Of course coatings, quality of glass, etc all have a significant part to play also.

I suspect that many will indeed opt for ES eyepieces to achieve near Tele Vue performance, but for quite a bit less.

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

As we all know, retail price maintenance is illegal, and yet is still common, with retailers who sell at ‘discount’ prices finding that manufacturers will no longer supply them.

I also recall reading a thread where FLO said that they don't carry some lines as they refused to agree to the pricing terms that the manufacturers / importers were demanding.

Putting two and two together, we might have the answer as to why Televue have felt that they can get away with hiking their prices so much, and also as to why sellers like FLO don't sell Televue products.

i know this may be a daft question but are televue eyepieces really that good, as a beginner i cant imagine spending that sort of money on an eyepiece.

ok i realise if you have £5k worth of scope you arent going to be using £20 plossls but how much better than say a £100 eyepiece are tv's? what makes them so good?

i know this may be a daft question but are televue eyepieces really that good, as a beginner i cant imagine spending that sort of money on an eyepiece.

ok i realise if you have £5k worth of scope you arent going to be using £20 plossls but how much better than say a £100 eyepiece are tv's? what makes them so good?

Its the law of diminishing returns :p

you can get 80% of the way for a reasonable price (think hyperions) but to get the last 20% you pay a whole lot more.

The expensive eyepieces tend to have better colour correction, sharpness at the edge of the field of view and a flatter field etc.

I used to feel the same way. Then I looked through an Ethos. The rest is history :p Basically, look through one, you'll understand when you do. Or better yet, don't - because you'll want one then :)

They are very good or people would not buy them, and continue buying them.

As Mark says the differences are not great, but they are there. It's up to individuals to decide whether those differences are worth the investment or not of course.

Believe it or not, Tele Vue are not the most expensive eyepieces available. Nikon and Takahashi have ranges that are close to £1K per eyepiece. They still sell.

Fortunately, these days there are a large range of choices available and good eyepieces are available to suit virtually all budgets :p

What you have to remember is that they won't show you anything more than what you already see in a cheaper eyepiece. (FOV aside) What they will do is make what you do see better contrasted, less distracting aberrations so sharper stars out the very edge and often far sharper in the centre also. Now while they won't show you more the increase in the quality of view will allow your eye to relax and take more detail in. Now this is as true for cheap mass produced budget scopes as it is in top of the range premium scopes. The difference is the premium scopes are already better corrected so the combination of premium EP and premium mirror/lens in effect gives you the bigger bang for your buck regards views but again this comes at a premium price. Unfortunately it is very rare that the skies offer as premium a viewing so you have to weigh up how much you invest in astronomy kit vs how much you actually get to use it.

Just received a Radian I bought on astronomy buy and sell here in Canada, in awesome condition $150 dollars, really happy with it.

Welcome to SGL :p What fl is the Radian? I had the 6mm for a while and found it very good.

• 4 months later...

Welcome to SGL :) What fl is the Radian? I had the 6mm for a while and found it very good.

appologies for the late reply, its a 4mm Radian, had some great views of the planets through it so far in my 102 F8 refractor.

Cheers for the welcome!

Archived