Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Last nights snow

Flying Eye

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's really good. The tree sagging with the weight in the right corner is great!

You have a weather station in your garden??

Yes there were a few interesting things I spotted like the vegetation sagging under the weight of the snow.

The box on legs is indeed my adaptation of how to make a Stephenson Screen for weather obs. I'm making my own station from all sorts as I found the commercial ones were not all that great given what they presently charge for them.

So at the start of Autumn last year I came up with and made that screen and added some of the cheaper and so far much more reliable sensors by TFA Dostmann. Not much money, very simple and so far reliable down to -10.3c. It presently does Min/Max and Pressure and a rain gauge is being planned.

All cheap stuff from Screwfix mostly and some bits from the spares box. Not hard to find or fancy things, I just happened to have them in stock already.

A mate of mine spotted it while visiting, and liked it enough that he cloned it within about a week. We are trialing them at present, and after they are a year old might well post a how to for them. We presently already know they handle extreme rain, and -10.3c so far and now snow. Looking OK so far.

Oh, I see! Well, it also gives an idea for another astronomical recording device one could DIY for when the table is not in use!:D

I made a sundial for my Astronomy GCSE practical course work :clouds1:

Here it is on the kitchen floor and in action demonstrating the difference between local time and standard time!

post-21583-13387772807_thumb.jpg

post-21583-133877728078_thumb.jpg

Archived