Are there any clear skies in the uk at the moment

kuro

Clear skies above Lancs until about 8pm when clouds came in, then frost thawed.

Seeing was pretty nasty though, even when it was clear. I could not make any detail out on Jupiter with 6" SCT.

Shimmering all over the place. Scope had been outside for 2 hours as well.

Anyone got clear skies?

The southwest seems to have been under a perpetual bank of cloud and rain for about a week except for one night last week. Grrrr!!!:D

Weather reports say Wednesday through to Friday is going to be clear in the Southwest. Fingers crossed.

:(

I glimpsed Venus on my way home yesterday. I was confused for a moment because (a) there was masses of cloud, and I guess there was just a tiny gap in the right place at that moment, and (:D it was twinkling because the conditions were so bad, even though it was still a good 20 degrees above the horizon.

Had three reasonably clear nights last week here in west Somerset and the Met Office promises more in the small hours tonight as well as tomorrow and Thursday.

Doubt I'll be doing much tonight though. I'm supposed to be playing skittles at the cricket club this evening, a 200 yard walk away and a cheap(ish) bar...

James

Got home from work last night at 9. Completely clear so took the scope out to cool. The obvious problem was that the seeing was appalling, not helped by the nearby stadium hosting a premiership football game so the floodlights were ruining my sky in that direction.

Even at 11, after my eyes had adjusted for 30 - 40 minutes I could only just see Orion's Sword with naked eye. Leo was barely visible as a constellation, Cancer completely invisible.

I packed up, very frustrated having had a pretty rubbish hour long session where I saw absolutely nothing. (I mainly stood there shaking my fist at the sky!)

Tonight is supposed to be clear as well. I'm hoping it might be better......

sw100ed saw first light last night here. Seeing wasn't great my focussing wasn't great and trying to work out where all the raw files from the Nikon d40x have gone. Looked at them last night. They gone this morning. Probably best given the rush and conditions. Next time.

Dave

Archived