Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New member signing in.

DaveBolton

Hello occupants of the Lounge! I thought it would be rude to hang around without introducing myself…

I am Dave (from) Bolton and I am almost a complete novice at this hobby so lets see if I can get through this without any schoolboy errors.

The night sky has always held a fascination for me but the last time I did anything about that was at the time of the Apollo landings. Yes, I go back that far – in fact I just about even recall Telstar going aloft and then the Gemini program before Apollo. Back then, when I was allowed to make schoolboy errors because I was one, I had binoculars and then a quite small telescope. I also recall maps of the moon being in my possession courtesy of a competition that I won.

Various hobbies have come and gone since then but astronomy (phew – bullet dodged) has always been on the back burner for some reason. My main hobby over the last twenty years or so has been photography and I have earned about 20% of my annual income through that over the last few years, mainly in stock photography. It’s that interest that is dragging me in this new direction and a mix of visual and astrophotography is the direction I want to go.

Over the last six weeks or so I’ve been scouring the magazine stands and then this forum for advice. Ebay is also getting a healthy dose of looking at so I can gauge prices but this seems to be a bad time to try and get established and buy my first decent telescope I fear. The time of year and the BBC can be thanked for that, I suppose.

I’m planning on spending under four figures total, but not that far under. I don’t mind second hand equipment and I’m not in a rush. I think the best bit of advice I have read on these forums is ‘decide what size telescope you want and then buy one size bigger.’ The Skyprodigy 130 briefly held my interest but I hear you that its expensive for what you get, although I may come back to it. My current target is the Celestron 8SE but I can see me compromising with a 6SE. I’m not sure about Meade. I’m currently thinking goto is a ‘must’.

So that’s where I am and I think I’ve taken enough of your time.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Dave... & welcome to the forum

For DSO photography you need to start with a sturdy EQ mount with tracking or Go-To...then see how much is left of your budget for a 'scope.

A skywatcher 200pds on HEQ5pro might be over the budget...but well worth a look

First Light Optics - Skywatcher Explorer 200P HEQ5 PRO

falls into your budget...just

Hi Dave and welcome. For planetary or lunar photography, i.e short exposures, then the 6SE or 8SE would be good. For deep sky(or space) objects then a driven equatorial mount is needed as exposure times will be considerably longer. I am a purely visual observer so my 6SE is fine for that purpose.

Hi, Dave from Bolton from another Dave from Bolton (though no longer resident!)

Welcome to SGL :D

+1 for Dobby's comment - if you are interested in astrophotography, spend the serious money on the mount, not the scope. You can do a lot with a heavy-duty EQ mount and a modest scope, but it is MUCH more difficult the other way round.

Also, you will find U.K. Astronomy Buy & Sell considerably more useful than E-bay, which frequently tends to have some ludicrously high prices for astro equipment.

I have just taken the time to read your original post a bit more closely. I am not too far away and I have a couple of scopes you can have a look through if you are not able to do so through a club. I sold my Meade scope ('nuff said). I have had a couple of Celestrons which have been good (the keeper is now over a decade old) but I am now a Skywatcher fan.

I know how hard it is choosing your first scope. PM me if you fancy a grabbing a brew and hearing my totally biased opinion in more detail.

Dave

Hi Dave & Welcome. I'm in Chorley so not that far away.

I went for a scope with a budget around that of what you are taking about. I went for the best visual scope I could get and ended up with a 10" GOTO as below. A little cheat with the GOTO but I do love it.

I am a keen photographer too so it was perhaps only a matter of time before I started thinking about astro photography.

It must be said that the scope I have chosen is not perhaps the best for imaging so I would seriously consider your options before you buy and look closely at what others have achieved.

I am wondering if I might at some point in the future sell my scope and look to buy something different to start taking photos.

I have to say though that I do love the visual astronomy with my scope and it was important to me to get something that might be good for my children to enjoy too. There is a little setup time with my scope but I think anything more might be prohibitive for my kids and they would go inside complaining of the cold and being bored.

Good luck with your choices.

Hi Dave... & welcome to the forum

For DSO photography you need to start with a sturdy EQ mount with tracking or Go-To...then see how much is left of your budget for a 'scope.

A skywatcher 200pds on HEQ5pro might be over the budget...but well worth a look

First Light Optics - Skywatcher Explorer 200P HEQ5 PRO

falls into your budget...just

That all seems sound advice, Dobby, and having looked at the setup you mention there I am tempted to stop faffing around and press the 'buy' button.

That plus the required power tank @ £100, set of filters for about £50 and the obligatory copy of Turn Left at Orion @ £20 takes the whole package to about £1150 which is achievable if I breathe in slowly. Am I forgetting anything? I'll mull it around for a couple of days yet while I wait for an 'in stock' email from another seller who were doing the same Skywatcher set-up at £150 less but, of course, it is out of stock! Yes, well, I can sell then cheap too when I haven't got any in!

Everybody, thanks for the welcome on board!

Archived