I'm a lucky duck

My inlaws just bought me a brand new telescope; my first! I was trying to find out some more information about it, but seem to be hitting some resistance. Could anyone tell me anything based on this information?

Seitz Land and Sky Observation S700/76

Those are the only distinguishing marks I can make out, but maybe I'm being really dense. Please help!

Thanks a lot!

Not great but it is a scope.

Work out how to align the findr and the main scope.

Point scope at something distant during the day with the longest focal length eyepiece in. Get whatever in the centre.

Adjust the finder until the same thing is centered.

Sounds easy, right pain in the rear.

Distant means a couple of miles.

Scope: get it outside, decide what to look at - try moon, Orion Nebula, Pleaides, Jupiter. Look through the finder and centre the object of your desire. Go look through the main scope. Should see the main thing somewhere and adjust until it is centered.

I assume there are no motors so you will have to track the object.

That is the basics and if you already knew it I apologise for repeating.

The scope is a reflector and at some time will need to have the collimation reset - basically realign mirrors and eyepiece. That is for later, not now.

The eyepieces may be basic, if you can get another couple of inexpensive ones then do so. Don't go for anything less then 8mm or 10mm. Guess a 12mm will be a decent all round one, a 25mm will give low magnification but wide views. Wide is good for finding things.

That's the start and if you have no idea will take a couple of weeks to get familiar with the scope. More targets are available but the ones mentioned are a fair start.

Jupiter is that bright thing in the South/South-West at about 6:00PM, well worth a go with a magnification of 30x and above.

What eyepieces came with the scope?

Forgot to look but did you give a location?

The moon will be great through that, you should be able to see jupiter and four moons, mars will show as a disc as will venus and you should be able to see the rings of saturn and a few dso's as well plenty to be going on with have fun. Can't add any more info on what steppenwolf has said except it's likely to have a spherical mirror not a problem at that focal length and apparture.

The best way to find out how to use it is to set it up and use it. Having to track manually is hard work! One thing such a telescope is good for is finding out the problems of practical astronomy - the first of which (apart from clouds) is that the sky is moving!

I bought a secondhand 76/700 for £40 a few years ago, as a speculative punt just to see if I wanted to get into this astronomy thing. I did. I still have it but never use it.

Thank you, everyone, for all your help and support! I'm going to have a go setting it up tonight, so I can get used to the process. It looks like I've got a lot of homework ahead of me! I hope you don't mind me peeking my head back here should I have anymore queries?

Thanks again!

x

Just a little fyi...I assembled the scope in my front room. It was stupid hard; probably mostly because I'm stupid. :D I had a fair bit of trouble with a lot of putting stuff on backwards or upside down. But I got there in the end! Hopefully, it'll be less cloud covered tomorrow night and I can take her for an inaugural! :(

Take some time to make sure that the finder scope lines up as accurately as possible with the main scope. You can do this in daylight using something like a church or chimney about a mile away.

This is important because you will find it very hard to get anything in the main scope at night without having the finder scope aligned with it.

Have fun !.

I think you will get lots of use from that scope, I am not familiar with it, other than I think one of my neighbours has it pointing out of his bedroom window, so he probably is not getting the best out of it. Anyway as they say, `if you use it a lot, its a good scope` and there will be lots of scope for upgrading in the future. Also I think for the Moon and some planets it will be good. Good luck and happy gazing.

• 2 weeks later...

Never got a chance to test out my scope...until today. I had a go at aligning the finder scope with the main scope to no avail. Everything in the finder is upside down...is that right/normal? And I can't seem to get ANYTHING in the main scope. Just black. I don't know if I've set that bit up incorrectly or what, but I've tried all the permutations I can. Feeling a bit frustrated and don't know what to do!

OK Caludia, take a deep breath! We've all been there with our first scope :-)

Yes, the finder will show things upside down, but you will get used to it.

With the main scope, can you stand in front of it and look down the tube - can you see yourself in the mirror?

The tube that sticks out of the side, without anything in it can you see a reflection of your eye in the little mirror?

You need to put an eyepiece in (start with the one with the biggest number on it - remembering to remove caps top and bottom if it has them). Move the knob by the eyepiece slowly while pointing at something far away and hopefully eventually you'll see see something starting to focus.

To align the finder, find anything in the main scope and then align the finder to it (not the other way around).

If you still have problems posta copy of pictures of your scope here and we'll take a look :-)

Helen

Take some time to make sure that the finder scope lines up as accurately as possible with the main scope. You can do this in daylight using something like a church or chimney about a mile away.

This is important because you will find it very hard to get anything in the main scope at night without having the finder scope aligned with it.

Have fun !.

And PLEASE be careful you don't point it at the sun.

Stick with it, Claudia. Frustration is all part of the game, but it makes the rewards of what you end up seeing so much sweeter. Can't add a lot to Helen's roundup really, but just wait until you see the Moon's craters through the scope (it is currently becoming more of a morning object at the moment, but it will be back in the evening sky in less than two weeks). And then just prepare for your first look at Saturn through it (also a morning object, but will be evening in a couple of months time) - it will blow your socks right off.

The frustration is temporary, the sights you will see with the scope when you do get it sorted will stay in your memory for ever.

Sometimes the cap on the front of the scope has a smaller cap in the centre. You should take both parts off to use the scope. The whole of the front of the tube should be open, not just a little circle in the middle.

If it came with a 3x Barlow, just leave that in the box. You won't be needing it.

Thank you everyone...again! Helen in particular. I hadn't even noticed the focusing knobs. I'm focused now, mostly aligned, and hopefully off to view the night sky!

I just want to say, I really super appreciate all the help and comments and even some merciless mocking :)! You guys here are so kind and helpful - it makes this whole process even more enjoyable.

x

Archived