Skyliner 150P vs 200P

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

from what im aware , although 150 (6") is a fine scope and apeture ,the 200p (8") is among if not THE most popular scope of a generation.

if it was my money i would most definatly wait for the 200. i think about £270 from first light optics. its a no brainer.

so much so im hopeing to have one of my own later in the year.

please remember having said my own personal comments, i still think the 150 is a good scope and would show many objects.

clear skies....

I have both (well the 150P Explorer) and the 200P Skyliner. To be honest I don't really notice that much difference between them regarding aperture and the light gathering ability. But then the 150P Explorer if F5 and the 150P Skyliner is slower at nearly F8? Not sure if that makes much difference?

Both good scopes though but not a personal fan of Dob's

As said before probably best go for the biggest you can :)

Cheers

Jamie

I have both (well the 150P Explorer) and the 200P Skyliner. To be honest I don't really notice that much difference between them regarding aperture and the light gathering ability. But then the 150P Explorer if F5 and the 150P Skyliner is slower at nearly F8? Not sure if that makes much difference?

Both good scopes though but not a personal fan of Dob's

As said before probably best go for the biggest you can :)

Cheers

Jamie

If you mean the 200P SKyliner Jamie I thought that was an F6 Scope wasn't it?

If you can go for the extra aperture, if I were you, I would get the 200P. We have various scopes of varying aperture and for seeing some of the fainter stuff, aperture wins, although of course darker skies help too!

Both the Explorer 150P and Explorer 200P are F5 scopes. The difference is purely 2" more aperture with the 200P.

For visual, a 150P on the EQ2-3, or the 200P on an EQ5 is fine. For astro-photography work put the 150P on the EQ5 and the 200P on an HEQ5 or better still EQ6 of budget permits

Both the Explorer 150P and Explorer 200P are F5 scopes. The difference is purely 2" more aperture with the 200P.

The Skyliner and Explorer scopes are not the same though.

The Skyliner 150p is f7.84.

First Light Optics - Skywatcher Skyliner 150P Dobsonian

And the Skyliner 200p is f/5.91.

First Light Optics - Skywatcher Skyliner 200P Dobsonian

Personally, out of these two scopes, I'd go for the 200p simply because it's got a larger aperture.

• 1 year later...

Both the 150 and the 200P are great scopes, it's just a matter of storage and how much you want (need) to cart about and how fit you are. If any of these are not a problem I would go for the 200P. You'll only be wondering 'what if', and the 200P will gather more of those feint fuzzies and planetary nebula as well. If you get the 150 you'll only upgrade later, believe me, I've been there.

Archived