Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hi from Costa Del Fleetwood

idbvideo

Hi

I am new to astronomy, I boutght a scope just before Christmas, a Celestron Astromaster 130 EQ MD. I have used it a couple of times, mainly weather related. To he honest, without much success.

I want to get into astro photography, I have taken a slightly blury photo of the moon using a T mount and am still learning hehe

Lots more to learn.

I dont like using the EQ mount to be honest, and really prefer the idea of an Alt azimuth go to mount. Although I recognise that to do long exposure photography EQ is the way to go.

There will be questions heheh.

Cheers n beers

Ian

Welcome to the SGL Forum Ian.

Hope you settle in here, and improve your astronomy.

Fleetwood Lancs. We are regular visitors there, three or four times a year usually. The wife and I have been fond of the place for years, and we use the Cala Gran Park in a static caravan.

Love the fish and chips :).

Ron.

Hi Ian and welcome to the forum. The alt-az mounts do feel at first the more intuitive to use but as you mention above, for those deep sky objects (DSO's) like galaxies and nebula, the equatorial approach is a must. May I suggest a book by Steve Richards called "Making Every Photon Count" (FLO £19.95) which will tell you what you need and why you need it to get the images you are after. Very well written as it takes you through the logical steps in securing the data. The main thing is that it is a comprehensive book and I never hesitate to recommend it to those starting out in imaging as it really provides a solid overview so you will know what you are letting yourself in for. :) They don't call it the 'dark art' for nothing!

Clear skies in the meantime

James

How easy did you find it to get the scope up and running with the starpointer and motor drive? I've the same model but haven't managed to use it yet because of the cloudy skies.

Thanks for the warm welcome folks.

@ Kopite.

I really dont get on with the star pointer. I find it difficult to line up with a star. I kinda managed to set it up using a distant tv aerial but I don't seem to be able to use it in the dark! Yeah I do turn on the red dot lol.

I managed to take an image of the moon using my 500D on a T mount, but that was kinda soft, It could be that I was using the viewfinder to focus, must try using live view.

I have not used the motor mount to track anything yet, I did try it adn it seemed to work. It does stop you using the RA cable though as there is no clutch on the motor. That said, you can manually slew the OTA.

@JBM1165

Thanks for the book recommendation, I will take a look

Cheers n beers

Ian

Archived