NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

When 8" Became My Grab n Go!!

I took delivery of my new 12" dob at the start of the week but due to a bout of the annual winter vomiting bug i have only gotten it assembled today. First impressions, HEAVY!!, but i'm sure the views will be worth a bit of weight lifting. The 8" has now been relegated to grab n go status.

post-24496-133877719939_thumb.jpg

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

nice one Damo. It's surprising how quickly the tubes go up when going in 4" jumps. my 12" OOUK felt like grab and go now compared with my 16" and although I can grab my 16" scope and go, I cannot go very far!

you'll love this scope. the view of the double cluster through 12" of aperture and a 13mm Ethos is what made me buy one of the latter the very next week after selling some eyepieces.

Thanks guys. I was hoping to get it out this evening but the weather gods are not playing ball as usual :)

I have to admit i underestimated the size of the 12". It is quite a handful (armful would be more appropriate) but just about manageable. I'll probably buy a sack truck for moving it to and from the shed in one piece.

The only thing i could fault at the minute are the primary collimation springs, they really are like paperclip wire! Fortunately i knew about this issue in advance and have a replacement heavier set incoming from Bobs Knobs.

I still have the frac Jules, lots of interest but no takers as yet. Hopefully the Brian Cox effect will kick in anytime soon :)

First light to follow...

Interesting you are selling the frac, seems like you've gone the same route as I did. I tried fracs but eventually become hooked on dobs and cannot get enough of them. the only changes I'd ever make in the future with a lottery win is to buy a 20" mirror and make a truss dob.

Interesting you are selling the frac, seems like you've gone the same route as I did. I tried fracs but eventually become hooked on dobs and cannot get enough of them. the only changes I'd ever make in the future with a lottery win is to buy a 20" mirror and make a truss dob.

I have owned two fracs Shane, the Tal 100RS and currently the Lyra f11 and have to say both of them are optically excellent.

The thing is though, i have come to love the simplicity and the power of the dob. I have made the mistake on more than one occasion of setting them up side by side and making comparisons. I know its not a fair fight but for me,other than maybe the moon, i have yet to find an object where the smaller aperture wins out for visual observing. I just hope the 12" keeps the fever at bay for the forseeable future :)

I am in the same boat somewhat Damo :)

I absolutely adore looking at star clusters in my 102mm refractor and 35mm panoptic especially no coma interfering with the view.

Ultimately I do envisage a ~10 inch Dob at some point but definately with a paracorr :

I forsee a 10" or 12" ?? thread in your future Mark :)

Yes quite possibly :)

I have started many a thread on this forum about my long term plans. I still keep toying with a C8 or a 8 inch Dob.

Transportation to dark sites is the only reason I don't own a bigger scope, justifying a large Dob for home use under NELM 4.5 mag skies at zenith just seems to be a waste. :)

Transportation to dark sites is the only reason I don't own a bigger scope, justifying a large Dob for home use under NELM 4.5 mag skies at zenith just seems to be a waste. :)

honestly Mark, ignoring transportation (which is certainly an issue you need to consider) don't worry about LP. I have been using my 6" f6 for a little while, as a grab and go. I got my 16" into action last weekend for the first time in ages and wow (again). it is a completely different experience, even on things like open clusters, and even though I have the same sort of skies as you.

I got the handles from WDS ltd.

http://www.wdsltd.co.uk/products/Machine-Parts/Handles/WDS-8517-Handle-492/

They're a bit pricey now so these are the handles I would recommend now. Pic of another dob with these handles.

http://www.wdsltd.co.uk/products/Machine-Parts/Handles/WDS-8532-Handle-177/

Be warned though when you look around on the WDS site they have lots and lots of other bits useful for modding your dob. In particular the thumbsrew section. :)

John

post-14522-133877720196_thumb.jpg

Archived