Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skylight f/15 mini,arrives.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glad to hear that you are pleased with your new scope.

I also purchased a 60mm Skylight a few weeks, but it has remained in it‘s box as I have been very very busy with work with many late nights. Mine has a black due shield instead of brass and Richard also acquired some brass tube rings for it.

I will also be the lucky owner of the 100mm F15 which I will be collecting next week.

I will post some pictures and a first review after the end of the month when my work load eases. Any accountants out there will know what I mean.

Kevin

Kevin,really looking forward to your photos.

Richard has agreed to make some brass rings for me too,in place of the Televue clamshell you see on the photos I took.

I had a very brief look at Venus a few days back and lens is VERY impressive.

Must get Jupiter & Moon and then on to a few doubles.

Gina, you must have patience,Ive been into astronomy since mid 70s and 80mm is still my largest refractor!

Kevin,have you read Neil English's review of the f/15? Sounds amazing.

It is because of reading Neil's reviews, articles and book on refractors that I discovered long focus refractors. This resulted in me purchasing the 4" F11 from Lyra Optics. After comparing it to my Megrez 90 I became convinced on the attributes of long focus refractors. I sold the Megrez.

The 4" from Lyra Optics will now be replaced by the 4" F15 from Skylight.

Hi, just posted this on CN,a few quick impressions of the Skylight mini.

Managed about 45mins on Jupiter last night.

Best view ever at 60mm.

Razor sharp and super high contrast and that at only 15mims cool down time.

I've never seen such a contrast betwwen the two main equatorial belts with the overall colour of the disc,polar regions too.

Glimpsed the odd bit of structure here and there but will try again tonight when hopefully seeing is better.

I did notice it held seeing better than the 80mm f/6 which I had along side it on a photo tripod {I need more tripods} but as I only had a 45minute window it didn't allow for proper cooling of 80mm so I will have to compare that again when I get the chance.

I can only observe close to home at a friends when Im allowed otherwise it's a hike to somewhere where I can get a good view of sky.

I had visited the coast a few hours earlier with a pair of binoculars but Im not taking the scopes there,Im about 10 miles inland.

The previous Saturday I had to wait 1hr to get the best out of the 80mm triplet.

CA..I didn't even notice it when seeing was steady,if anyone is thinking about a Carton 60/1000 lens scope but is a bit concerned about CA do not worry about it,you will be very surprised.

I used a TV 10.5mm plossl to give approx 95x for low contrast subjects like Jupiter this is ideal for me.

Really looking forward to moon and some doubles.

I used a 3-6mm Nagler zoom just to see how well it handles the power,it handles it great and doubles are going to get a good hiding with this scope.

Perfect collimation too, but this was never going to be a problem as the lens cell is fully collimatable.

All in all I couldn't be happier with the Skylight mini with what ive seen so far.

This time next week the moon will be in good position and good phase so I'll keep fingers crossed and report back.

So far a very happy camper.

Sounds a lovely 60mm scope :)

I might dust down my old 1960's Tasco 60mm F/13.3 refractor, stick a hybrid diagonal in and see how it does. It won't equal a Carton objective but I recall that it did deliver nice views for it's aperture. Tasco were Japanese made back then.

Picked up my Skylight 100mm F15 last night. I will post some pictures of both the 60mm and 100mm this coming weekend.

I also had a chance to see the Skylight 6, a 6” F15 achromat. Although not finished, the tube needs to be powder coated, you can see that Ricahard has taken a lot of care in its construction. It had a nice brass focusser, a collimatable lens cell and a brass dew shield. Once finished it should look stunning

Congrats on your new scope, sounds a good un. Richard has hit it right with this scope I reckon, a nice size, good looks and great perfomance. If I hadnt already got a 4" F15 and an 80mm F15 I would be tempted.

Nice 1st light as well.

Philj

A slight aside.... Does any one else have trouble seeing Kevin's posts? I use Tapatalk and I just see empty space where I am sure there is something good to read. Most frustrating, anyone know how to fix it?

Btw, lovely scope. I have a 60mm f16.7 carton scope too. Not been able to get good results yet as the mount is very wobbly at high mags. Trying to find some tube rings for it so I can use on my giro mount but they are hard to find.

Stu

Archived