NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skylight f/15 mini,arrives.

I was thinking about tube rings for something else the other day and came up with an idea which would work well for smaller OTA's. use some 18mm ply and then cut holes in two sections, the diameter of your OTA plus maybe 2mm for felt. then cut a square or hexagonal shape around the hole x 2. insert some brass threads to fix a dovetail through and then cut both pieces in half, fit a couple of hinges and a way to fix the other half and you have some tube rings for not much money at all. paint them black for aesthetics if you like.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

regarding these hard to find rings, it might be possible for philj to help out, he did a pair for one of his classic fracs using aluminium collars, so if you could get st80 rings, and have some collars turned to fill the gap, might see if i can find the thread he posted it on

found it!

http://stargazerslounge.com/diy-astronomer/164129-tube-ring-adaptors.html

We'll need to start a Carton thread, so we can all put up our beloved Carton scope pics(Be they original spec or not. Prob not many of the former about).

I'd love to get my hands on an original Carton eq mount. They must have been good, cause TeleVue rebadged them way back.

Andy.

Andy was the Televue RSM equatorial mount a Carton mount?

I had the pleasure of seeing that mount at Osborne Optics in the 80s,smooth as silk.

Unfortunately I couldn't afford it at the time,stunning mount though,a 4" TV Reinassance was riding on it,incredible sight.

I'm beginning to think (having really closely examined several Skylight pics now for hours on end) that the Skylight scopes will have the same "heirloom quality" as certain TeleVue scopes did when they were launched. "Heirloom quality" is a phrase oft-quoted when scopes seem to be something more than the sum of their parts, and promise to be items that will last decades, if not generations, being handed down to budding astronomer sons and daughters etc.

They certainly have something "special" about them and a lot of attention obviously goes into the construction. I consider them to be sufficiently pricey to bear careful consideration before buying as well (another similarity to the TeleVue scopes), meaning you have to think a little bit and really want one before committing to becoming the carer for one.

Fascinating. :)

Ant

Ant,great comments and it will be interesting to see what Richard comes up with in the future,Im looking forward to see the Skylight 6" that will be shown at the Astro Fest meeting in February.

To be honest I think £445 is very reasonable for a very good quality 60mm scope.

The price of one of these in the 1970s like Unitron etc was probably the same as what it is now.

I know a few of the newer amateur astronomers have been brought up on the cheap prices of the past 5 years or so but go back 20-30 years and the price of a scope with optics like the Carton 60/1000 were erm....astronomical:)

Archived