Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hi all!

ziggy

Hello everyone from just outside Norwich! Ive been looking on here for a few days and went and got a telescope today I chose a Sky-watcher 200 Dob dont want to take photos so hope it will be ok! I am a total novice and the question is do I need to put one of the 2 supplied lenses in or just look through the hole! Dont think I will take it outside tonight!lol

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Ziggy,

Welcome to the lounge.

Nice scope you've got yourself there. You put one of the EPs in the scope. The one with the smaller focal length will give the highest magnification but start with the longer focal length to give less magnification and a wider field of view.

Post any more questions in the beginners help and advice and someone will soon help you out.

Enjoy your scope.

Hi Ziggy and welcome to the forum. Great start with the 200p dob and you won't be disappointed with the views. Imaging wise, you will be limited to planets and the moon using a webcam because those objects are so bright, you will need very short exposure times to capture them. Now for Deep Sky Objects (DSO's) like galaxies and nebulas, because they are so faint and so far away, the need for longer exposures will come into play, which in turn will require very accurate tracking as these objects move across the sky. A typical dobsonian does not have any tracking and the few that do, track objects in an alt-azimuth method, namely tiny little movements vertically and horizontally which on any camera would show up as zig zags in the final image. It is possible to mount this scope on an equatorial type of mount, which by its design, can track objects along a smooth curve created by the mount head having been tilted back at just the right angle to replicate the path of objects as they travel across the sky. Again, you will need to purchase one with very accurate motors and that also has the weight capacity to carry your scope. The imaging help section will provide you with more details if you need to know more.

Your scope is a great observing scope and is very popular amongst astronomers so you have made an excellent choice.

Clear skies

James

Archived