NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M33 Triangulum Galaxy in 4.5 hours on TS SuperNewt

Catanonia

I have had a mare with this image and the processing of it. I thought I had all sorts of dust clouds and the like, but it ended up being bad flats causing the strange patterns and lines.

This is a complete reprocess from the ground up with new flats to match the setup.

Image was taken over two nights, totalling 4.5 hours in LRGB 3 min subs

LRGB : 23:24:24:24 in 3 min subs on my TS SuperNewt 200mm F2.8

Taken with QHY9 mono + QHY 2inch filters and TS OAG guiding.

Used full colour calibration in PI and resisted the urge to tweek the colours to my liking, so hopefully is is a true colour representation of M33.

Loads of subs so nice and smooth with no real smoothing done in PI or CS5.

I hope you like it, not too shabby for under 5 hours.

Cat

post-16631-133877719065_thumb.jpg

I am very impressed every time an "amateur" astronomer takes a photo which, not too many years ago, would have done a professional observatory proud. I know the equipment, especially DSLR or CCD cameras, has made a huge contribution but it does not detract from the sheer quality you produce.

Looking a lot better Steve with the correct flats applied, the original background was various shades that I had not see in deep M33 images before. I dont think you are picking up the same detail at this focal length as your MN would have done. Has the image been cropped ?

Looking a lot better Steve with the correct flats applied, the original background was various shades that I had not see in deep M33 images before. I dont think you are picking up the same detail at this focal length as your MN would have done. Has the image been cropped ?

Only lost about 10% incropping due to alignment of subs and my dynamic crop to frame. Almost 1/2 focal length on this scope, but the imaging time is well over 1/4 of the time with 3m subs compared to 8+ mins and the guding issues associated.

Still picking up some dust lanes surround the galaxy which is nice, but the last image just wasn't right. This one is much more real I feel.

I can see the problems you were having but the galaxy colouration is spot on with some nice dust lane detail

So difficult learning a new scope. Also the JPG conversion has not help here at all, can see stuff and lines that are not in the original.

Very nice Cat... very nice indeed... :)

I think you need to tweak the spacing, the stars are rounder but its still got a way to go...

The Images on the other hand are still superb.. I know you'll get there am sure :)

Very nice Cat... very nice indeed... :)

I think you need to tweak the spacing, the stars are rounder but its still got a way to go...

The Images on the other hand are still superb.. I know you'll get there am sure :)

yeah still having some issues with the reducer. The nice clear nights recently have helped me to get closer.

Archived