Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hi Everyone, just registered and saying hello..

scsibear

Hi guys my names Ray from Glasgow i use the nick scsibear (pronounced scuzzy) on everything i do online like chats or forums and have used it for years so i figured no point in doing any different now.

I only have one Telescope i bought about 10 years ago an old Orion Optics Europa 250 (remember them), unfortunately i only used it a few times but really enjoyed it when i did. Now i feel it's time i brushed the cobwebs off it and got a bit serious about it. I decided to join to get advice and thoughts as to how i could best use it and perhaps modernise it if that's possible it may be too old i don't know to allow fitting a more modern go-to mount/system to the OTA and am very keen to do Astrophotography, it must be great to have pictures you've taken yourself on your wall.

regards

scsi

HI Ray and welcome to the forum. Orion Optics are still going though the 'Europa' I believe is no longer availiable. If you want to enhance the mirrors, orion optics do sell mirror sets that would easily fit the physical requirements of your scope. Regarding imaging, can I recommend that you get hold of Steve Richards, "Making Every Photon Count" (First Light Optics £19.95) a modestly priced book that contains all that you need and why you need it to get started in creating your own images. Planets and the moon can be captured via a simple webcam but it is Deep Sky Objects (DSO's) that will necessitate you getting a decent mount in order to be able to track accurately those more distant and faint objects, s longer exposure times will be needed. Don't forget the search button at the top of the page (if you haven't noticed it) which archives all past questions and responses. The Imaging Section will also prove very useful too.

Clear skies

James

I'd just like to reciprocate... is that the right spelling ? lol, and thank everyone who must do this shed loads per day for the new members who join, it's good to see once again a forum that strives to get and make comfortable new members who share a love for this or any particular hobby.

@JBM1165 a huge tnx to you my friend for you input and if i may be so bold as i feel this is just an intro point and not a question/answer thread if i may be so bold once again to have your feedback, I shall start a new thread and hopefully place it in the right place..lol and hopefully you and others shall be as kind to give me feedback to my Q !

Archived