Newbie from Bridgnorth, Shropshire

Fatman

Hi all. I came across this site while looking for astronomy clubs

I am thinking about getting me a telescope rather soon.

Over Christmas I borrowed a lens, only a 300mm Sigma, and decided to have a mess with shutter speeds and iso settings etc etc. Got some really good pictures of the moon. And i would love to be able to explore the moon more at first and get a view of other planets.

Al the best Andy

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Andy and welcome to the forum. If Astrophotgraphy is your interest then you have come to the right place to find out more as there are plenty of good imagers here.

They call it the 'dark art' as it is very seductive and at a certain level not cheap, though it very much depends on what you want to achieve. Data capture becomes the initial focus (sorry about the pun) but data 'processing' also makes a huge difference to the final image so make sure to ask about that too. A lot of programs out there are thankfully free but there are one or two that are not so you will need to budget wisely. Can I make a suggestion to help you on your way. Steve Richards book "Making Every Photon Count" (First Light Optics £19.95) is a modestly priced book that details comprehensively all that you need to know to construct some good images. What kit you will need and why you need it to help you produce the level of imaging that you're after is what this book is about and will help you compile a true budget of the costs involved. As they often say, you don't want your first image of a black hole to be the one in your wallet! :(:D

Clear skies

James

Archived