Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hi from Hampshire

ejwwest

Hi...

I'm James West. I live in Chandlers Ford Hampshire and have been an amateur astronomer for 40 years. I have been using a Celestron C8 for the past 20 years but recently upgraded to a Celestron CGEM EdgeHD 925.

Equipment:

Celestron CGEM EdgeHD 925

Moonlite Tri-knob focuser

Canon 40D DSLR with 100-400mm Zoom with 2x extender and other lenses.

Various filters (1.25" B/G/Y/R Orion Skyglow and UHC, Baader OIII) - need to gradually get 2" versions

Baader Hyperion 13mm eyepiece

Various 1.25" Celestron Ultima eyepieces.

Light pollution where I live is very bad and seeing conditions not great either. Large trees obscure my NW to SW horizons and houses to the S and E make it difficult to observe at low declinations.

I put many of my astro photos up on Flickr: Collection: Astronomical

One of my ISS shots (taken through the C8 last April) was shown on Sky at Night in Sept 2011 and I have had photos published in Astronomy Now (2008 Solar Eclipse), BAA Journal and "The Astronomer".

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi James and welcome to the forum. Had a look at your images which I have to say didn't disappoint. Your experience is very much welcomed here and look forward to seeing your latest efforts (any chance of imaging that Russian probe that is returning to earth as it flies over the south on 17th I believe)

Clear skies

James (...such a good name! :()

Hi James and welcome to the forum. Had a look at your images which I have to say didn't disappoint. Your experience is very much welcomed here and look forward to seeing your latest efforts (any chance of imaging that Russian probe that is returning to earth as it flies over the south on 17th I believe)

Clear skies

James (...such a good name! :()

Thanks. I may check that out but I don't have the facilities to actually track satellites (there are some excellent shots of the ISS on FlickR which have computer tracking of it in real time, presumably with a GPS as well). My technique for the ISS is to use Calsky to get the exact coordinates and to point the telescope to that (with my old C8 I was dependent on it going close to a reasonably bright star) and take a fast burst as it entered the finderscope. With a bigger scope, very accurate mount, computer tracking and lots of preparation one could do a lot more!

Archived