Hello from Oxford U.K

humanevil

I just saying hi to all since I have just registered on the forums. I'm Carl i live in oxford uk. I've all ways been interested in the sky and the stars for a long time now but have yet to buy a telescope. every now and then i take my trusty DSLR and see what pictures i can get of the night sky.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Carl and welcome to the forum. No rush to buy a telescope as the stars aren't going anywhere and at this time of year there are plenty of astro societies and observing groups (not always the same) who perform public outreach events that allow you to look through all manner size and cost of kit. This will provide invaluable research to help you decide which scope to get or whether to wait and save the pennies for something larger.

Mixing astronomy with photography can be straight forward at a certain level but for really good results, a little investment will be needed. If this is the direction that you are aiming at, then a good start would be to purchase a book by Steve Richards, "Making Every Photon Count" sold by First Light Optics (£19.95). A modestly priced book full of excellent information on what you need, why you need it to create the kind of images that you're after. It will save you a lot of money by helping you to spend wisely (lots of exotic toys to seduce you :)) as you don't want your first image of a black hole to be the one seen in your wallet!;):D Planets and the moon can be done via cheap video camera but it is imaging deep sky objects (galaxies, nebula etc) that costs a little bit more and that will require a bit more research on techniques - they don't call it the 'dark art' for nothing. Hope that helps.

Clear skies

James

Archived