Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Venus transit

bish

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Given my luck over the past couple of years, I am not going to hold my breath.

I commentated live on BBC radio Gloucestershire for the solar eclipse...in the rain. That was embarrassing :p

I'll still get set up for it though just in case.

I commentated live on BBC radio Gloucestershire for the solar eclipse...in the rain. That was embarrassing :p

That is a shame! Maybe the transit will be more forgiving for you.

Are you planning to get up on the hills or are you heading for the East coast? I'm currently thinking the east coast is the place to be with an unobstructed view to the horizon.

Are you planning to get up on the hills or are you heading for the East coast? I'm currently thinking the east coast is the place to be with an unobstructed view to the horizon.

Not sure at the moment Kev. If I can find a good spot locally with a nice NE horizon I might stick around, but my God Mother lives in Bexley London, so I might impose with the family and make an early trip to the coast.

Not sure at the moment Kev. If I can find a good spot locally with a nice NE horizon I might stick around, but my God Mother lives in Bexley London, so I might impose with the family and make an early trip to the coast.
Touch base with me nearer the time Rik. I'm thinking of driving across the day/night before and setting the kit up and then nap in the car lol

When? Where? Seems interesting, already gave my 5" reflector and Baader Solar film a testdrivve the other day, works great. I am ready from Scandinavia (Sweden) - if it's a good place to be... ?

You may find this website of interest both historical and information on the 2012 transit.

Venustransit

I am hoping, fingers crossed, to view the transit from San Francisco.

Mark

My cousin lives in San Francisco and is always happy for me to visit, but unfortunately I would still need to find the money for a flight. If the forecast is good I may just somewhere better placed than Dudley.

I was hoping to get away from the UK to view the transit this year, the main destination I had in mind was Egypt. But unless I get some work soon that will be out of the question for obvious reasons. Really determined not to miss this one as I doubt I'll be around for the next one in the 2100's

Please can you help me?

Would I need any other equipment other than a suitable solar filter for the front of my MAK127mm? I'm looking at a Baader Astrozap one at the mo...

I assume I wont need a filter on the eyepiece will I?

Also, would I be safe in imaging it (if were lucky) using my SPC900?

cheers in advance....

Scott

Hi. as Peter says, you'll need a solar-filter (for example Baader film, probably the cheapest filter - comes in sheets of various sizes) over your aperture - in yr case - infront of the main lens. Make sure it's fastened tightly and cannot fall off!

Never attempt to watch the sun with one of those filters that screws into your eyepiece (they can still be found, but it's getting harder, luckily) as they may crack due to the intense build up of heat in the narrowed down sunray through your eyepiece... remember making fire with a magnifying glass as a kid? :-)

If you look closely on my avatar (I know, the picture is of poor quality and a bit bright) you may see my own solar setup.

If you find the sun interesting to observe there are neat freeware to download such as for example "Helioviewer" - good help for your sunobserving, but not needed to enjoy the Venus transit though!

Good luck and clear skies!

Thanks Peter and Spica

Does this look like a good buy? It actually looks like I could make one of these given the correct filter film etc?

Is it worth doing or should I just bit the bullet and stump up the £40

First Light Optics - AstroZap Baader Solar Filter

cheers

Scott

Howdy neighbour (not too far from you... Littleborough), just get yourself a sheet of solar film and make your own cell, much cheaper than buying the astrozap, it's straight forward;

Baader Planetarium - making of an inexpencive filter cell

If you intend using a webcam, you may also want to invest in a green filter (#58 Wratten), it helps bring out surface detail.

From where I am planning to go observing Venus' transit begins early morning at 01:00 when Venus is -11° below horizon. At around 05:00 it starts to climb above horizon and the transit ends at minutes to 08:00 when Venus is some 22° above horizon. That gives some two and a half hours of observing depending on conditions. I'll be watching the weather forecast a couple of days before the event and will have my stuff packed and if the skies are clear I'll be rushing to see it with my mates. Got to see a thing that happens so rarely. And I haven't seen the 2004 transit too.

Archived