LOHA First Light

Photosbykev

At last I manage to find some sun to play with even if it was behind some trees lol. These are the very first images taken through my Lyra Optic H-a (LOHA) 4" f/11 refractor with a DMK41 and 2.5x Powermate. The only image cropping has been done by Registax

The 110mm D-ERF filter was taped to the front of the dew shield so there is still a lot of work to do but I'm very pleased with the first light images even if the focus is a bit marginal.

dssr_20111217125135-p1-x1-125135.jpg

dssr_20111217131809-p1-x1-131809.jpg

dssr_20111217132253-p1-x1-132253.jpg

dssr_20111217132358-p1-x1-132358.jpg

dssr_20111217132816-p1-x1-132816.jpg

They look great. Is the visual view a good improvement?

Dave

I didn't even check Dave, I just threw the DMK41 CCD camera on the back. Next time I'll put an eyepiece in and check. Looking at the live view from the CCD on my laptop there is a lot more to see.

img_0046.jpg

Did anyone notice a change of PST etalon tuning position before and after the Stage 1 modification?.

Before I modded my PST my typical position on the tuning ring was about 5mm from one of the tuning ring end stops to get the optimum tuning.

After the mod and for these first light images the tuning ring was on the end stop of the travel and possibly needed a bit more travel to find the peak.

I've done the simple mod to change the range of tuning by moving the end stop by 2 holes and I'll see if I needed that bit more tuning range. Interesting to see that there was no anti-tamper label under the knurled rubber band.

Hi Kev,

I too had to adjust the etalon tuning ring after stage 2 in the vixen 80 mod.The difference that it made was huge.......... Be careful with the helical focuser at stage 2. Ensure that it is well lubed on its inner core ..I used a very fine molybdenum grease...just a little..otherwise you may find that the weight of the diag/teleview and camera make it stiff and lumpy!!!!!

Coming to a very fine focus on proms is still tough with these mods though.May be

with other scopes too.I guess that would be a function of seeing conditions mostly.

Gordon.

I might have sent a few pics of the vixen.Just in case,I will resend.

The end of the scope was modified with an end plate,into whih a phospor bronze

tube screwed which held an adapter to hold the etalon housing.This enabled fine movement of the etalon position within the 200mm inside focus of the 80mm. thus,

very subtle changes to the ideal could be made.

Photo-0082.jpg

The etalon screwed tightly to the black adapter.Then the modified

borg screwed onto the etalon housing.Again locking tightly. This allowed the etalon to be tuned in use,and the focuser to operate.

Finally,but not shown in this pic,an adapter screwed into the rear of the Borg to

hold and lock the BF10.

b-3.jpg

Hope this helps

Gordon.

PPS.

To achieve focus with various cameras,the adapter holding the BF10 had to be capable of increasing/shortening the overall length of the optical train from the etalon

to the ccd array and via a televiewto ccd array...this was achieved with a screw tube into the borg rear and a very narrow locking ring.

Archived