NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

hi all:) 2

beamish

Right then, no more hanging about! Hello to every one in the SGL. For quite a while now I've been reading the posts, the news and alot of tips

in particular the permanent pier made from wood and some thick marine ply.That's definately given me a :police: lot to think about.

Although I've been interested in the stars and the planets for a long time, it was only a couple of years since I was given my first scope. First view of Saturn did it, twas almost a spiritual experience! I've just recently secumbed to my dark side and bought a scope that popped up on Astro buy +sell, ie the Cape200m. And the skies have been cloudy since! :D

I've learnt alot already from you guys and I seen how manage to tease members credit cards out of pockets, mine are pretty empty for awhile.

PS whose going to Kielder?

best wishes, Beamish. :D

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for warm welcome guys. I'll fill you in re the cape ASAP. It is a cracking bit of kit and beautifully engineered. Jamie, which days will you there at kielder? I've just been given the OK from SWMBO :whip2: it'll be my b'day week oooh :police:. At least I now know what your tent looks like! after reading up about SGL3 wk/end. In fact it's made me re-think about the tent I was going to use.

Cheers everyone .

Hi. Beamish, welcome to SGL. The Wise scope, is this the one that has all spherical surfaces, and the correction is done with a correcting lens in the drawtube.?

Enjoy SGL, It is a great forum, and great fun too. Some great characters here.

Ron. :police:

Ah, but does it work as well as the adverts say?

From reading about it, it's a Newt. type design with a really small secondary mirror. The secondary has a Barlow lens just "upstream" of it to make the focus point go outside the tube, then a focal reducer type lens in the focuser to undo the Barlowing. This makes the 'scope a Newt. with an exceptionally small secondary so the central obstruction is reduced to a minimum. This increases contrast and makes the effective aperture bigger as the secondary shadow is much smaller. Is that how it works in real life?

All spherical surfaces? That would make it easier to get the optics spot on as all the grief part of grinding Newt. type mirrors is in the parabolizing of the curve. This is one reason that I'm anxious to get my hands on a Tal 200K as the optics should be awesome as they are relatively easy to make.

If the guy has got his sums right, it ought to be a superb 'scope, so tell us more.

Captain Chaos

Firstly, I must admit I find it hard to believe that there isn't another Cape owner in the forum.

It's clear to me that, as I suspected, KK knows his stuff, truth is it appears Peter Wise has got his sums right, he spent long enough trying from what I've read.

I bought the cape because 1)it's pretty portable at only 8Kg and 620mm long. 2) it offers high contrast images and a wide field of view. 3)It's sealed (face plate) and requires next to no collimation. 4)I really fancied the idea of indulging in planetary observing whilst having the option of wide flat field for DSO and astro-imaging (my plan for the future), it basically ticked a lot of my boxes, it's british made and very well engineered. I became interested following a review in The Sky at Nite mag('05 I think). I just felt that it would be something I'd get years of use out of. Whilst like many other SGL members,I'm cursed with on-going cloud cover and the prospect of another Atlantic front moving in over the BH :police: but I promise I will post a review ASAP. Images may be alittle longer. The 'scope was bought with a 30mm(80' fov) and an 11mm(80'fov). Of course if we ever meet up at kielder or any party SGL members will be perfectly welcome to view for themselves, open invite. I feel like this piece would do well with respect o Steve's post re "maximisers /satisfisers".

Archived