Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Tal Barlows back in stock!

FLO

Tal barlows are considered by many to be the BEST affordable Barlows available. Unfortunately they have been difficult to source but after a wait of nearly 10 months both 2x and 3x Tal Barlows are back in stock :)

A Barlow lens is a convenient and affordable way of doubling or trebling (2x or 3x) an eyepiece's magnification without reducing eye-relief. It is also a neat way of increasing your range of available magnifications. For example, if you own a Skywatcher Explorer 130p with the usual 10mm and 25mm Plossls you will have 65x and 26x magnifications. If you include a 2x Barlow that increases to 130x, 65x, 52x and 26x. With a 3x Barlow you would have 195x, 78x, 65x and 26x.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That 3x Tal is a great barlow for anyone Planetary imaging with a f5 scope, combined with a extension tube it works very nicely.

Im planning on taking the glass off of my "shipped with" 2x SW barlow. will make a great extension tube

That 3x Tal is a great barlow for anyone Planetary imaging with a f5 scope, combined with a extension tube it works very nicely.

I won't need an extension tube will I? I assumed that I put the barlow in the diagonal and the EP into the barlow?

Doh then I read the thread. I don't have a SW stock Barlow, but I guess I can unscrew the barlow screw in element from my revelation 2x and use that as an extension.

If you have a revelation 2x Barlow you can take out the lens element and screw it directly into the eyepiece reducing it to a 1.5x Barlow - I only just found that out so I thought I would share. :-)

I only found that out recently too. Can do the same with my SW one. If you didnt want to unscrew your revelation one you could always go on astroboot and pick up a cheap barlow. Think I saw one for £7

Well I wasn't really planning on buying anything today, but these seemed to be as rare as hens teeth every time I've looked anywhere in the last 6 months so I've snapped up a 2x ones (I hope) for future use.

You're not going to like this...

Our website has a facility where, when a product is out of stock, you can click on the 'Notify me when this item is available' button. Our website then sends an automated email advising you when the item is back in stock. It appears over one hundred people clicked on the button! Our delivery of the 3x Tal barlow sold out within 24-hours. We tried to order more but Tal's UK importer/distributor has also sold out. They are unable to say when they will become available again.

We'll check the backorder situation tomorrow and refund payments where necessary.

Our stocks of Tal 2x barlows are holding up but at the current rate they too will be sold out sometime next week.

This is intensely frustrating! :icon_salut:

Sincere apologies to anyone affected.

Apparently it is Tal themselves that are behind the shortage. The Tal company originally made optical components for the Russian military but turned their attention to telescopes and eyepieces for the amateur astronomy market when the cold war ended. From what we are hearing they have been manufacturing more kit for the military so telescopes and eyepieces are in short supply.

Archived